Maths content for Deck vs Eng

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maths content for Deck vs Eng

Just wondering if anyone could clear up a maths question - don't panic, it's not that sort of question I have been given conflicting info by recruitment staff at several companies about maths requirements for Cadet training. I'm wondering is there greater volume/difficulty of maths content and therefore different entry requirements between the Deck and Engine cadet courses, (I have applied for mostly Foundation Degree so far). My main worry is that I do not have maths or physics A-level - Doh!
    I'm no expert, but I really don't think it should be making that noise...

Re: Maths content for Deck vs Eng

Im not so sure with the FD course, but far as im aware theres no massive diffrence, For the HND a C's were acceptable, sometimes even D's ( in GCSE level ) for entry, but ive heard most companies have upped this to B's, it could be possible to be accepted with the grade below if you had engineering/navigational experience.
    Life at sea is a life for me

Comment

For ETO FD, the maths level is mostly a good pass at GCSE level with some A-Level standard thrown in (polynomial division, partial fractions, binomial series etc). I'm taking the course called Engineering Maths so imagine its the same for the Engine FD guys.

There is no maths entry requirment on my course, and the teacher seems pretty good at teaching the weaker students.

We've also covered simple calculus- I can't remember if that was in GCSE maths.
      Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

I entered the FD Engine course with a a C pass at Standard Grade, so my maths was quite a bit behind the standard required for the course. Its a thread that runs through everything you do( thermodynamics, mechanics, ship stabillity ).
        That being said, if you apply yourself and persevere with it you'll find your skills pick up quite quickly. If you are struggling to keep up, there are after hours tutorials to help.
        If you wanted to brush up, I'd reccommend getting your algebra up to scratch ( transposing formulae, quadratics, linear equations etc ). This is the stuff you'll mostly cover during your maths induction, but its definatly helpful to have a basic grasp of it before you start the course.

Comment

Out of interest what A-levels do you have?

If you are really concerned about it then maybe you should look at going down the HND route (as you say you've only applied for FD). As discussed in the link below you'll see that the FD and HND are pretty much the same thing.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1039

Hope this helps a bit

Ben

Comment

Thanks Just Ben, et al, I'm not too worried then, even with my social sciences type background.
            I'm no expert, but I really don't think it should be making that noise...

Comment

The Maths level on the FD is the Same as A-level maths its quite easy if you have done A-level maths as 80% is easily reached some modules are Further maths which is 1st year Uni level maths.
              Maybe I will never be
              All the things that I want to be
              But now is not the time to cry
              Now's the time to find out why

Comment

Looking through it, it looks like a mix of As physics and As Maths with the odd bit of 'interesting' stuff thrown in for good measure.
                "We're not pirates, We're preemptive nautical salvage experts"

Comment

In the HND courses the pass rate is only 50% for each exam you take, although offically your only aloud 3 re-sits or something. If you get on the lecturers good side you will pretty much be given answers in re-sits or at least helped a lot
                  Life at sea is a life for me

Comment

I would say that on the whole the engine route has more maths, and some might say it's harder maths.
                    So far in phase one it's been only up to A-level standard and from the look of things it won't go much higher for the majority. However there are people in my class that have no A-levels, or did them a long time ago, so no option should be ruled out. As previously mentioned there is a lot of help available if you need it.

Don't let the maths put you off, just do what you think you'll enjoy most.
                    I find that even if it's hard, if I enjoy it then I can soon understand it.
                    You can trust me,
                    I'm a doctor.

Comment

I'd tend to say it's six and two threes regarding maths content between discipines.
                      Whilst Engineers do a have lot of theoretical mathematics, e.g. thermodynamics, monitoring etc, the Deck side have just as much, most of which is, dare I say it, used more regularly in a practical sense, a prime example being ship stability.

Comment

You actually calculate your ships stabillity mathematically? You dont use a loadicator or other modelling software?
                        I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

GuinessMan,
                          In a sense yes, because at least once a week I confirm what the computer is saying using the hand-o-matic method.
                          If nothing else, it keeps me in practice, which is only to the good!

Comment

MCA reccomends doing sums by hand at least montly to cross check no one broke the software. Most companies have it in thier procedures too, for the same reasons.
                            Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
                            Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
                            No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefy
                              MCA reccomends doing sums by hand at least montly to cross check no one broke the software. Most companies have it in thier procedures too, for the same reasons.
                              Yes, and many individuals seem to ignore it or (more likely) are incapable of doing it.

Comment

Working...
                              X