Applications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applications

Well I have applied to all of the companies last week for Deck Officer training, these include CMT, SSTG, Carnival, Viking, Maersk and Princess.

The RFA on the other hand I have had some trouble with. The site does not actually have and application form to fill out, So I have sent the an email and will give them a call tomorrow to ask for it.

Does the RFA have a fitness test? As in running, sit ups and push ups sort of thing?

Maersk were quick to respond, but won't organise an interview till later on next year. CMT are very organised, and everything is on track with them. Same goes for SSTG and I have being in for an interview with them both. but I can't help thinking that they are going to try and persuade me off Cruise ships, if this is the case, I would probably try to stay along the lines of passenger ships. But I have heard that if you train with inshore companies such as P&O ferries and Northlink, you have to do triple the amount of time at sea in order to get your ticket.

Do these sort of companies put you on an offshore vessel to put on the hours quicker?

Carnival, Viking and Princess I can guess are going to take a while, approximately how long will they take to reply?

Any extra advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    "Knowledge is gained through experience and experience is just another name for our mistakes" - Albert Einstein/Oscar Wilde
    "Choose a career that you really enjoy and you will never have to work a single day in life."

Experience with Container, General Cargo and Cruise vessels.

Re: Applications

I applied to CMT and SSTG too......they were very quick to respond and were very quick to make me an offer. not knowing too much about how good companies were in comparison to eachother I was tempted to take their offers before even having an interview with anyone else (purely because they seemed so organised and would be great to work with). However I'm glad I held out as other companies do get back to you and the best ones are the ones worth waiting for!
    As for sea time.....for deck its a standard 12 months seatime. no more no less with any company.

Comment

Originally posted by purelywelsh!
      I applied to CMT and SSTG too......they were very quick to respond and were very quick to make me an offer. not knowing too much about how good companies were in comparison to eachother I was tempted to take their offers before even having an interview with anyone else (purely because they seemed so organised and would be great to work with). However I'm glad I held out as other companies do get back to you and the best ones are the ones worth waiting for!
      As for sea time.....for deck its a standard 12 months seatime. no more no less with any company.
      Oh! what was the offer? And what other offers did you get from the other Companies? Yes, thats another problem, you get the offer quickly from big companies such as CMT and SSTG and you may turn them down, then you might not even get an offer from the others.
      "Knowledge is gained through experience and experience is just another name for our mistakes" - Albert Einstein/Oscar Wilde
      "Choose a career that you really enjoy and you will never have to work a single day in life."

Comment

I'd take the SSTG one. They are one of the best around. Plus, you get a decent wage and they pay for your rent!

CMT dont pay rent, pay is alright but they couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery.
        I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by GuinnessMan
          I'd take the SSTG one. They are one of the best around. Plus, you get a decent wage and they pay for your rent!

CMT dont pay rent, pay is alright but they couldn't organise a wee-up in a brewery.
          If I get an offer from SSTG and it is on a Cruise Ship, I will take it straight away. They sound so nice and relaxed. But then again I would say the same CMT. To be honest, I dont really care about the money as long as its enough to provide me with what I need, not what I want. Main aim is to get on a cruise ship, however they will probably manage to put me off them.

Who do you work for GuinnessMan?

Thanks.

Comment

Dont put your hopes on cruise ships. To be honest, you've probably got more chance of shagging Beyonce than you do of getting on a cruise ship with Clyde.

I dont work for Clyde, I work for a maritime company in the Middle East.

Comment

Just think of it, on stuff other than cruise liners at least the cargo doesn't complain at you
              "We're not pirates, We're preemptive nautical salvage experts"

Comment

a lot of my group are with clyde, and as guinnessman says theres no real chanch of getting on a cruise ship with them, most male cadets go with a company called zodiac! if i had the choice again i would go with SSTG! and its difficult to go from cruise ships to another sort, but much easier to do it the other way

Comment

Loose the hang up about cruise ships-it doesn't matter who you train with, just get your OOW and then go for a job with them. Intakes are getting bigger and competition is very strong.
                  It's been said on here before that cruise ship cadets can sometimes find it harder to complete their ship based training as there are more cadets chasing the required jobs. Get your cadetship sorted, if you've had an offer from SSTG-take it...SSTG have the best rate of pay and keep you out of trouble with the accomodation office.

Comment

Well you guys all apear to think that SSTG are very good, I do have my first interview with them next Wednesday so hopefully all goes well. So what happens if I get an offer from SSTG and I havn't heard from any of the other major Cruise companies?

Comment

Well thats your decision to make. Just remember that the companies aren't going to hang around for months on end for you to make up your mind. I've got my SSTG interview next Friday so good luck!
                      "We're not pirates, We're preemptive nautical salvage experts"

Comment

Do your training and then go for the cruise companies.

Comment

You've had your advice-now get something done about it...tomorrow morning!

Report back to us at muster. Jeez I hate all this flapping about! ;op

Comment

I'm with Carnival, and I can't fault them so far - decent pay, really nice people in the office (only two of them!) and organised. For my first sea phase, I've got 5 months lined up on two different ships. On my first ship, I'll be one of three first trip deck cadets. On a ship that size, finding jobs for each of us won't be a problem, especially considering we're in port very frequently. Apart from that, while the job's not guaranteed at the end, it's as good as. (You'll find precious few companies who will give a cast iron guarantee of employment at the end, if any.)

I can see the concern about getting jobs on the likes of container ships and tankers when your cadetship has been solely on cruise ships, though at the end of the day your training and ticket are the same no matter what type of ships you've been on. If worst comes to worst and Carnival don't have a job for me at the end, I imagine it would be no more than a minor obstacle.

If you don't get an offer from a cruise company, don't worry - do your cadetship with another company. As I said it's the same ticket and the same training.
                            sigpic
                            Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Steamer, I have applied to all of the companies and have interviews all set up and ready to go. Some companies I just need to hear from. There is nothing much I can do at the moment. It's not flapping about, it preparing in advance.

Chalie Delta, thanks for the advice, but like I said I will just have to wait and see.

Thanks to you all again.

Comment

Working...
                              X