Qualified officers and those who have been to sea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qualified officers and those who have been to sea

What are your most memorable experiences whilst sailing the high seas?

Re: Qualified officer and those who have been to sea

Admiring the next interesting wave

Comment

Re: Qualified officers and those who have been to sea

Going on the bridge at 0345 and seeing the pilot run around in a panic as he tried to get in touch with a barge. Captain of the Barge was asleep and there was virtually nowhere for us to go. It passed our port side by less than 10 meters.

Comment

It was a long time ago now, but it might have been but yesterday.
        It would have to be encountering that mythalogical event which is THE TEMPEST.
        In fact, it is not mythalogical at all - it does exist, but it is for sure a Once in A Lifetime Experience.
        It is, without a doubt, quite horrific, yet in the aftermath, one is overwhelmingly gratefull and certainly privileged for having encountered it once.
        When "old hands" talk of the Hole in the Ocean - that's what they are talking about, and that's where you will find it.
        Never ever go looking for it - when the time is right, be assured, it will find you.
        Few will survive it - but some do.
        To you from failing hands we throw - The Torch;
        Be yours to hold it high.
        If ye break faith with us of old,
        We shall not sleep,
        nor shall you either !!!

Comment

Foregive me Father for I have sinned - I've been less than honest with my previous posting.
          There is more - much more in fact - it's all flooding back - now "chipping away" - in my head.

There's the "Tanker War" - mile after mile of burned out hulks and body parts.
          Merchant Seafarers - like lambs to the slaughter.

The Falklands War and M.N. Back up.
          All quite avoidable - "set up" for the glorification of Margaret Thatcher.
          Would never have happened had she just increased the garrison as advised by the Military.
          (Chief Conspirator - the then Chairman of the Conservative Party - it seems)
          Doubtfull she could do it herself - she just didn't have the brains in her head.
          (but at least on this one, - targeted by only one side in the conflict, not all sides, as in the Tanker War)

There's more, especially on the "commercial front" - but that's enough for the time being - it's creating havoc with my blood pressure right now.

No, me thinks, :': is more appropriate - don't you.
          To you from failing hands we throw - The Torch;
          Be yours to hold it high.
          If ye break faith with us of old,
          We shall not sleep,
          nor shall you either !!!

Comment

Working...
          X