No announcement yet.

How do you get post at college/at sea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you get post at college/at sea?

Nice quick and easy one for you.

What happens to your post/mail when you're at college? Do you have pigeon holes?

Also what happens when you're at sea?

Thanks
    Ben

Re: Post

You can have it re-directed to the college residental address, though at sea post/mail isn't really avaliable
    Life at sea is a life for me

Comment

So at sea, it just goes to the college.

Thanks.

Comment

Generally most people leave it go to their home address, and a relative forwards it on.

In college if you order anything specific just put the college address and you can pick it up from either a pigeon hole or the reception.

But to be honest, I dont know how much post you are likely to get. I have reverted to paperless statements and have cancelled all newsletters and magazines.

It is just the items that I order that I expect to receive.
        Forum Admin

Comment

no at sea it goes to the address on the letter, so set it for parents or where ever.
          If you want mail from home there is normally a company "care of" address which will be bundled and sent DHL every so often HOWEVER they wont accept magazines and the likes especialy if being sent to more rigourous regiems (no FHM for Middle East!)
          Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
          Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
          No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Thanks 'The H'

I had never thought about paperless statements, might do that.

When you say about ordering stuff do you mean like buying something from amazon (or wherever)? Are you allowed to do that?

Thanks again

Comment

haha ok, thanks chiefy.

Comment

Why on earth would you not be 'allowed' to order stuff on amazon etc?? It's a free world still AFAIK!! You can't get it sent to the ship, cos you don't know where you'll be, so get it sent home (i.e. your folks house). Once you're on a sea phase you get booted out of college, don't expect to keep a room there for 6 months, they need it for the next bunch coming through. I get all my mail sent to my folks house (where I still reside between sea and college phases- it's a short enough time for them to appreciate seeing me without driving me mad!) and if I'm living elsewhere, i.e. at college, I get my mail forwarded by them. If I'm ordering stuff, I get it sent to wherever I'm living.

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Well i work in an office at the moment and their pretty touchy about the post i guess they don't really want to be dealing with peoples personal items on top actual work related post. (Everything has to be opened and checked before distributed.)
                  I just didn't know if the college would be happy with packages turning up all the time?? I don't know i'm new to this. =]

Yes the world is free, but it's still bound by rules and regs.

Like chiefy said i'll probably go paperless for bank statements and get everything else delivered home.

Comment

College won't open your post! Depends on where you go as to how it get distributed...

At Fleetwood if you're in halls it is kept at the security desk and they put your name on the whiteboard if you have post to collect. If you're not living in halls there's a box at reception where general letters are left for you to collect, and if there's any recorded mail or packages they keep it in the office and put your name on the computer on the desk, to get those items you have to show your id and sign to say you've picked it up. I've had packages delivered there plenty of times, it's not a problem.

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

cool, thanks size 4 =]

ps. i'm going to Warsash

Comment

College: Unless it had to be signed for it went everywhere but my room in the halls of residence.

Sea: Family's house. Important stuff was scanned and emailed to me. My Residence card was forwarded to me though through the ship management company that sponsored me.
                        I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Thanks GuinessMan.

What is a residence card?

Comment

At Warsash, during your college phases *but* only when you're living on site, you can get post sent to you. Letter post goes to pigeon holes outside the library, recorded/special/outsize post goes to reception for pick-up. Reception will also hang on to things like bank cards/tickets etc for you to collect instead of putting them in the pigeon holes.

If you're living offsite, you can't have anything delivered to Warsash.
                            sigpic
                            Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

Or if you were RFA you could simply have mail sent to your ship's BFPO address. If you're lucky it's fast and gets to you within a few days. If not it can be weeks behind but will catch up eventually.

You can set up mail forwarding with Royal Mail for when your home is empty.

Comment

Working...
                              X