I'm 48, am I too old?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm 48, am I too old?

Hi, I have just joined the forum and I would like to become an engineering cadet. I am an older cadet and I have done quite a bit of research speaking to training and shipping companies and reading this forum to get a feel for the attitude and prospects towards older cadets. The general feedback so far has been that age shouldn't be a signifcant issue, however I am taking this to another level! I am 48 which is older than any other cadets I have heard about, although I would describe myself as a "young 48" in very good health. The sea and engineering are my passion, I was self taught chief engineer on a couple of 33m private yachts when I was 17 and 18, I loved it and excelled ( and didn't need *any* qualifications then to do it!) I have been working for large corporates in management positions since, which I have never enjoyed.

I would love to hear from any other cadets in their late 30's or 40's or anyone with any experience of how they got on both with the training and more importantly getting a job at the end it, and any other general advice? This is a really big decision for me now and I want to be certain I have as realistic a view as possible.

Re: The mother of all "older cadet" queries

In terms of training, you will have no problems; however, finding a sponsor could be tricky. Many companies are pragmatic and honest about the fact that they take cadets because of the tax benefits-others not.
    I would suggest looking at offshore companies as the crews are often more mature to avoid the discomfort of being mentored by an officer young enough to be your child.

Best of luck, and I hope that you get a break into the career.

Comment

Being older might make it, as mention, a little more difficult to find a sponsor. Though in my phase there is two men aged 42 and 39 and as far as ive heard they are treated equal to those only aged 16/17. Just send out a load of applications SSTG/Clyde marine might be your best bet
      Life at sea is a life for me

Comment

Speaking as a cadet due to start training in a few months, I have asked myself the same question (although I am in my 20s), as I didn't want to be the only person over 20 on my course. However, when attending my ENG1 medical I asked the doctor what is the age of people he screens on behalf of Clyde and he said ages ranging for 18 up to 60. Also, I asked the same question to the accommodation officer regarding the age of people who stay in the halls and she said the same thing, so I would say go for it.

There isn't any harm in applying to companies such as Clyde or SSTG and asking some more questions in the interview and then making a decision.

Comment

I remember reading that the oldest recorded cadet was a 45 year old ex-fire fighter.....
          I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

the oldest guy in my class at college is in his 50's and there is another one in his 40's

Comment

My course(graduate conversion so all over 22 anyway) the demographic was 32, 31, 26, 25. Finding a sponsor may be tricky, but the practical side should be a breeze if you have experience running/maintaining yacht systems. If you have a degree or diploma with some maths or physics content you may get exemptions on your letter of initial assessment, meaning less time in college and fewer exams to sit.
              '... English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't
              just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages
              down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for
              new vocabulary.' - James Davis Nicoll

Comment

Thanks for all the comments, they pretty much confirm the picture I have been building. I have no problem putting in my application to a number of training/shipping companies and seeing what happens, but the difficult bit is getting a feel for just how hard it would be to get a job after the three years training is complete.

Are there any 40+ cadets out there who have secured their first job after training and if so what was it like?

Comment

Average age in my Class is Around 23 - 25 . you should have no problem , best bet is go with a company that offer you sponsorship when you finish.

SSTG are good.
                  some companies i Know so far who Offer jobs are
                  Mine OOCL (delta marine )
                  GMS
                  Gardline .

the others i have never asked
                  Maybe I will never be
                  All the things that I want to be
                  But now is not the time to cry
                  Now's the time to find out why

Comment

Carnival seem happy recruiting 40 year old fast track electrical engineer grads into ETO, and there is a 40 year old ETO cadet in my class who seems confident about getting a job. The ETO career progression is a bit unclear at present but ETOs are very employable right now.
                    Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

Re: I'm 48, am I too old?

Basically, you can only try... you might be the first... just rationalise it from their point of view: will cope with the various aspects of it (both academic, economic and social); will you stick it out to the end?
                      These and other questions that you might ask a 48-year-old if you were recruiting.
                      Emeritus Admin & Founding Member

Comment

Originally posted by Jezza View Post
                        Hi, I have just joined the forum and I would like to become an engineering cadet. I am an older cadet and I have done quite a bit of research speaking to training and shipping companies and reading this forum to get a feel for the attitude and prospects towards older cadets. The general feedback so far has been that age shouldn't be a signifcant issue, however I am taking this to another level! I am 48 which is older than any other cadets I have heard about, although I would describe myself as a "young 48" in very good health. The sea and engineering are my passion, I was self taught chief engineer on a couple of 33m private yachts when I was 17 and 18, I loved it and excelled ( and didn't need *any* qualifications then to do it!) I have been working for large corporates in management positions since, which I have never enjoyed.

I would love to hear from any other cadets in their late 30's or 40's or anyone with any experience of how they got on both with the training and more importantly getting a job at the end it, and any other general advice? This is a really big decision for me now and I want to be certain I have as realistic a view as possible.
                        How did you get on?
                        I'm 45 and in the same boat, I fear it may be too late, be good to hear how far you have gone, did you manage to find a sponsor??

Comment

Working...
                        X