Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Know anything about Chevron, London Ship Managers or K-Line?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Know anything about Chevron, London Ship Managers or K-Line?

I selected 3 companies for my start in January and was hoping that someone might have had some experience with them and inform me of how they treat the next generation! 1. Chevron(i don't work for greenpeace) 2. London Ship Managers 3. K-line shipping (europe)

Cheers.

Re: Shipping Choises

Shipping companies don't generally put bullying and harrassment in their business plans. If you are a good member of staff, you will be treated well-if your turn out to be lazy, cumbersome burden then they will give you a rough time, send you on a spelling course and suggest other career options.

Comment

Originally posted by steamer
      Shipping companies don't generally put bullying and harrassment in their business plans. If you are a good member of staff, you will be treated well-if your turn out to be lazy, cumbersome burden then they will give you a rough time, send you on a spelling course and suggest other career options.
      Thanks for your increadibly helpful insight, every other post i have read on this forum people have been kind enough to help people who are just starting out, I do have the sence of mind to understand that hard work get you places thank you very much, and as for the spelling remark im dyslexic.

Comment

To be honest, Steamer is right.

If you work hard, put the effort in and get on with the job in hand you'll love it. If you dodge work, drink yourself stupid most nights and turn up late then they will, very politely, recommend a different career.
        I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

I'll chip in and agree with steamer too here.

There'll always be a bit of banter at college and on board, best get used to it early!
          sigpic
          Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

yeah i understand banter, im from Glasgow, dont know where everyone seems to get the idea that i will be drinking all the time , i was really just hoping for some insight into the companies if anyone is/has trained with them. i.e. nationality of crew on-board and the likes, quite simple.

Comment

There is a blog about written by a Chevron cadet, may be worth Googling and see if you can get in touch with him. Personally, I haven't heard much about the others but I'm sure someone will be along soon who has.
              sigpic
              Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Comment

cheers, delta

Comment

I have a coursemate who works for Chevron, they seem to treat him pretty well, 'fraid I don't know anything about the other two. I wouldn't count on getting any of them mind, I'm guessing from what you've said you're being trained by Clyde Marine, who are pretty good at paying little to no attention to what their cadets have asked for company-wise.

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

yeah it's Clyde Marine i'll be with, i am generally just hoping for a deep-sea company hence why those three were my top choices, they ony sent me out a small list of companies so i was hoping that the companies on the list were the ones that were looking to sponsor cadets, but who knows, im pretty positive i dont find out until January anyway so I'll just have to bide my time.

Comment

Hey there m8,

Just enjoy whatever oppertunities present themseleves, I have friends with Chevron in Junior and Senior officer level and all agree it is a world class leader in the industruy. The other two will also offer you good experiences and its all what you take out of thats important. Not sure how to make this point. If you say sailed as cadet on the new cruise ship the Queen Elizibeth, wow how good would that be you might say, but think hard and I think you wouldn't be surprised to hear that you were one of a group of cadets, probably sharing cabins, all trying to share experiences like throwing heaving lines, steering the ship, keeping look out, helping at mooring stations. However if you sailed on a thirty year old dredger working in the English Channel and up and down the Thames every day, then yes, you would look out of place in your white uniform.. However you would get loads of oppertunities to help and be part of the crew. Now, at the end of the course both cadets iff they pass would have the same certificate although there experiences would be very different.

The question is does one have a better cadetship?

Does one have more experience?

Was one cadetship more enjoyable than the other?

I really cant see much difference.. The advice given is good and if you are commited, hard working and polite then anyone can do anything in this and indeed anything they put there mind to.

Comment

Originally posted by calmac_alba
                        as for the spelling remark im dyslexic.

So am I, dyslexia's got FA to do with spelling... go and get an online dictionary (and not american one!) :P
                        If you were missing out chunks of words and getting pairs of letters mixed around, or not finishing the end of...; then I'd believe you, but half the people on here can't spell, and it's not down to dyslexia, but the "state of education in Britain today" (... or more likely alcoholism!).

"I put the sexy in dyslexia"

As for your "questions" - far too generalised... what's the point in asking such vague questions? You're only going to get vague answers. My guess is that you're too lazy to read around the board (and to spell properly), and you want us to repeat ourselves for your benefit.... ain't gown happen bowwa.
                        I suggest you pull your finger out and put some effort into reading up before asking anything, 'cos it's a waste of forum space to just ask something fatuous like; "err, what's it like?", to only deserve an answer like "err, it's alright".
                        Emeritus Admin & Founding Member

Comment

It does peeve me when people can't spell! HND/FD in nautical science or engineering is an academic subject that requires rigour and attention to detail. Imagine how you would look when the surveyor comes aboard to check the ships records to find a poorly presented log entry that the third officer vomited onto the page?
                          Also, at college you will lose marks for spelling, grammar and referencing.
                          When you qualify, you are responsible for keeping legal documents-which in the case of a disaster could save your career and liberty. A judge or accident investigator wants to see evidence of professionalism and knowledge-so start practicing early.

Comment

This is just a generalised comment. It's not aimed at you CalMac.

I do feel sorry for the comma. It's so needlessly abused......
                            I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Now now gentlemen! Play nice!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X