X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Student Finance Application

DELETED - no longer a member.

Re: Student Finance Application

I recently applied to student finance Wales for exactly the same course but @ fleetwood. They sent me a letter declining to provide me with the maintenance grants as the first year is a national certificate qualification. I've spoke to them since and they have advised i will be eligible for funding on the 2nd & 3rd year of the course but not the 1st year as they don't class NC as a higher education course. They have said I will be eligible for for a welsh assembly learning grant of ?1500 for 1st year which is better than a kick in the teeth I suppose. But I was looking forward to the ?5000 non repayable grant but suppose will have to wait till next year for that. If u want help to pay accommodation fees contact residential support scheme. If you reside in England they can pay your accommodation costs for you.

Comment

The STC course goes as follows:

Phase 1: National Certificate in Shipping and Marine Operations.
      Phase 2: Sea
      Phase 3: HNC Units
      Phase 4: Sea
      Phase 5: HND Units

Unfortunately, you won't be eligible for finance in phase one on the HND route - you can only get it from phase three when you're on an "eligible course" (the HNC).
      sigpic
      Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Comment

What is a "National Certificate in Shipping and Marine Operations"?
        Are these Student Finance options the same as those for Student Loans etc? When I was a cadet we weren't eligible for any government support whatsoever as we were classed as salaried employees.

Comment

It's basically an access course so that you have the relevant mathematical foundation for the HNC/D units, and a basic knowledge of navigation, stability etc. Since the HNC/D units are an eligible course, you can apply for a student loan no matter how much you're being paid. Grants are dependant on status.
          sigpic
          Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at [email protected].

Comment

They're teaching stability and navigation in phase 1? Would have thought it'd make more sense to teach it in say phase 3 as its the trips thereafter you'll be using it, first sea phase trips doing the basics/maintenance etc.

Comment

It's very basic on HND - chart interpretiation, tides, basic rule of the road etc. FdSc start terrestrial, celestial, chartwork and navaids in phase one. Stability wise, again very basic.

The problem is that the HND course is now aligned pretty much with the FdSc course - phase one for me is:

1 week induction
              10 weeks teaching
              1 week exam
              plus 2-3 weeks short courses.

So they now have a lot more teaching time in phase 1, and need to fill it with something.
              sigpic

Comment

@Neil87: Should you not be dealing with Student Finance England if the course is at Fleetwood?
                Forum Admin

Comment

@The H.
                  No student finance England won't deal with my application as I live in Wales I have to apply for funding through my local education authority (Vale Of Glamorgan) in my case. I tried the residential support scheme but that is only open to applicants who reside in England. I'm not desperate for the grant. I will manage fine but I sat down and worked out all the finances and if I could have had grant this year I would have been living on ?270 a week after paying accommodation costs which ain't too bad really. But suppose I will have to wait till next year 2 live on that.

Comment

I have encountered the same problems with SAAS. We're all doomed. Shame really, the extra 5k would suit me nicely just now. On the plus side............. Interest free student overdrafts aren't an issue with most banks Although some people dislike this idea as a cadetship is supposed to be "Debt Free".

NC nav is basically " This is a chart, plot a point on it and identify 10 features from the chart" and Stability is really just explaining the centre of gravity etc.

The problem with the NC course is due to the fact the SQA run the HNC/HND (well at STC Anyway) and everyone has to have "SQA CORE SKILLS" (which are similar to key skills in England and Wales) to proceed with the course..... they make you take courses like communications etc before proceeding. So At present I get 1.5 hr's a week of Bridge Watch keeping, 3 Hours of communications, 4.5 hours of computing (Its a miracle, I can type) and with all things considered... the relivence of the UK Copyright laws when i'm in Singapore.... Is questionable.

but back on topic...... No student loans until phase 3, and by that time you'll have saved money on your sea phase and probs wont need to cash as much

Comment

Don't count on saving too much during your sea phases - I never managed to!
                      A combination of shorebound jollies and the usual attractions of wine, women and song!

Comment

If your on an oil tanker or similar ship plying similar routes then shore leave wont be too readily available and even then would you want to? I dont think there is much of a "night scene" in Bandar Abbas....
                        I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

I work for Maersk, good old Dry ships are sure to contribute to some savings.

Comment

270 a week thats very good most here are on much less a month , never mind a week. after accomodationg
                            Maybe I will never be
                            All the things that I want to be
                            But now is not the time to cry
                            Now's the time to find out why

Comment

Yes ?270 a week was a nice thought but sadly for the first year it is goin to be more like ?60 a week. After paying accom fees which considering I am a smoker ?35 of that ?60 a week will literally be up in smoke so ?25p/w left for odds and sods.

Comment

Working...
                              X