• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Application Submission?

Originally posted by effiestephy
    Originally posted by DubaiGuy
    Originally posted by effiestephy
    Haha, I'll be one of the glamorous deck officers ;D I have a story to tell. I applied for SSTG, and they said I didn't have the correct grades, but everywhere else I applied to said I did..I mean, it's alright now, I'm with CMT, but I was rather offended when they said I didn't have the correct grades D: so, I'll tell you guys the grades I have right now, and what I'm still working on.. (this is SQA, so Standard Grade/Higher)

Higher Mathematics - pending.. (predicted grade - C)
    Higher English - pending..(predicted grade - B)
    Intermediate 2 Mathematics - A
    Higher French - A
    Higher Music - A (this & French aren't needed for the MN..but I was quite proud of getting A's :P)
    Standard Grade English - 2
    Standard Grade Chemistry - 2 (I didn't do Physics, but was told Chemistry would replace that)
    Standard Grade Craft & Design Technology - 2
    & others, but they're not needed..can't be bothered mentioning them all (:

So...do I have the correct grades for SSTG?
    Wow, I didn't think i could find a course with a more confusing grading system than IB, what's with the Mix of letters and numbers?!
    Standard Grades always have numbers, 1,2,3,4. Highers & Advanced Highers are A,B,C,D, No award.
    At IB its standard and higher with numbers, also CAS Extended Essay and Theory Of Knowledge, you get 24 you pass, anything lower you might as well of not bothered.

Comment

You know you don't need to quote the previous part of the conversation every time guys- makes reading threads more difficult! Please try and use the quote function to quote short bits that you want to specificly reply to or address. Thanx

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Originally posted by Andy_S
        I will apply to BP this week.
        What as? I'm not 100% clear on what they regard as the diff between ETO and E... they could at least state what ticket you qualify with... EOOW - yes or no?!
        (the way they describe ETO, it sounds like a narrower thing - control & instrumentation/electric & electronic; but is it?!)

I've heard a lot of schpiel about clankies being in demand, but that doesn't seem to translate into different treatment from deckies.

The word was that BP have struggled to get applicants for E; Maersk deliberately went early, perhaps to nab people who might otherwise go with the others. The RFA seem locked into this quasi-military recruitment process, which perhaps fewer people would go through if it weren't for the pees and bees.
        I can't fathom the cruise ship process (no pun intended!)... I do wonder how closely this current site demographics compare with the spread of applicants. My sense was that Deckie applicants outnumbered Engineering ones by about 4 to 1, and not simply because of quals, but that the Deckie life perhaps appeals to more people.

Trinity never even responded to my app... and it's got to be worth a hello... I expect that as they now come under Viking, that they perhaps offer around £8-9k, with good training, but not much stuff beyond British/Irish waters... (I await S4's corrections :animals-bunny: )

I think one of the main issues, particularly on the clanky side, is the average age of the workforce... sort of mid-50s for offshore work in general, I think. You'd hope that companies/organisations would be falling over themselves to attract engineers... yet, that doesn't always seem to be the vibe... [I need a fishing smiley!]
        Emeritus Admin & Founding Member

Comment

Originally posted by Tron
          Trinity never even responded to my app... and it's got to be worth a hello... I expect that as they now come under Viking, that they perhaps offer around £8-9k, with good training, but not much stuff beyond British/Irish waters... (I await S4's corrections
          • :animals-bunny:
          )
          Well seeing as I just PMed you with some info on that I'd have thought you'd get it right.... :teasing-poke:

The folks who run Viking bought Chiltern Maritime just before I joined up, it is run from the same office building but as a separate company. Chiltern run Trinity House's training scheme, the pay is set by Trin House though. Currently deck cadets get a bit under under £800/month, whether at sea or in college or on leave. Because TH only has 3 ships (buoy tenders) they obviously can't fit all their cadets on their own ships so have agreements with lots of other companies/lines to give cadets berths, so far I've been on the THV Patricia and the QM2. No idea where I'll be on my next trip but it could be anything - the British Antartic survey, a tanker, another cruise ship, box boat etc, definitely not restricted to British waters!!

Size4riggerboots

Comment

erm... you might have inadvertently PMed yourself

(I've done it before!)

...where would you place TH in the pecking order then (of pees and bees)?

800/month = 9,600 = Viking = Carnival = maybe Princess...
            Emeritus Admin & Founding Member

Comment

I swear I didn't! It's not in any of my mail boxes... ah well, it was wiki-related but you've taken it down now anyway. Will try and remember what I said and put it on the wiki thread.

Anyway, pecking order...

Difficult to say really, I guess it depends on what you want from your cadetship.

In pay terms, TH is pretty good, certainly not the best but I'm comfortable I'm not completely clued up on what other cadets get so I can't comment on where they'd fit in.

Benefits/non benefits..
              They give you stype to buy your own uniform, which easily covers the basics, but if you want to get any dress uniform (which if you're going to get it, get it while you're a cadet as you get discounts!) then you may find you've spent more than what you've been given.

TH has a looong history and is highly respected in the Maritime World, once you're qualified you can become a Yeoman of TH and they'll support you throughout your career. TH cadets have a pretty good rep too, I'm hoping to impress a few bods out there on my next trip as it's not uncommon for TH to get a call about a cadet, asking that they be pointed in the direction of the caller once they've got their ticket.

As I said above, they put cadets on lots of different types of ships, which means you get a fantastic wealth of experiences and get to try things on for size, great for when you're trying to work out what sector of shipping you'd like to work in when you qualify. However there is a down side to this- you have to learn a completely new ship each time, and a whole new crew. Being with the same company (and probably returning to the same ship several times) will mean you won't necessarily have to start at the bottom of the heap each time and prove yourself anew. And, knowing one kind of ship inside out will mean you're more likely to be able to answer anything the MCA examiner will throw at you about the ships you've been on. :dance:

Size4riggerboots

Comment

Working...
              X