What are James Fisher like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: James fisher

I hate to ask but, if all your roads become exhausted, do you have a plan B?

Comment

I have been looking and looking and trying to find options for a plan B as such i would have joined the RN being a sea cadet for so long it would have suited but it would take 5 years, i might work on toy boats i mean yachts of some kind, the police where also a consideration and get work in he maratime section atleast i looked at RFA rating but with my restricted medical they wouldn't touch me with a barge pole but after that really im stuck if you have any ideas it would be helpful as i have been working on plan A but plan B has also been considered

cheers
      Be what you want to be not what other people tell you to be
      Adapt and over come
      Careers At Sea Ambassador

Comment

Like i say i wish you good luck in your search. And hopefully you won't need your plan B.

I read an interesting article about the way they are starting to test the severity of colour blindness instead just wheter you have it or not.
        http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 07902.html

I think it's only aimed at pilots at the moment but you never know.

Comment

Thanks and me to.

The only hope is someone gives me a chance eh maersk are currently mu biggest chance as everyone knows and theres 2 on here they have colour blind cadets a work mates brother whos in training has friends in who are colour blind and they are with maersk also so im waiting for them to start sifting applications which is next month
          Adapt and over come

Comment

Fingers crossed for you Stronglead, I hope you get it, it's good to see someone who really wants it and is willing to fight for it, as opposed to those who think it's just an easy way to get a free education.

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

thank you size4 and yeah ive wanted this kind of carreer since i was 10 so i aint gonna give up without a fight.

and thank you to everyone for the help support and suggestions and shall keep you posted on it all hopfully next thread i make will be a help interview one :P heres hoping
              Adapt and over come

Comment

Stronglead - sorry to dig up old ground but what colour vision test did you have that you failed and what position do you want? If you are not completely colour blind there might still be hope.

I have become something of an instant expert on the colour vision tests as I want to be an engineering officer but knew I would fail the Ishihara test, so In looked into it, read all the documents and spoke to the MCA. For engineering the requirement isn't as strict as for deck and the MCA said if I passed the City University or Farnsworth D.15 test then that would be sufficient and I could get an ENG1 with no colour restrictions for engineering work. (Deck officers would have to pass the lantern test which is more difficult).

This is exactly what I have done as I was deighted to pass the D 15 last week. The lady who tested me (Dr Janet Voke) spent three years investigating the industrial consequences of colour vision defects for the Medical Research Council and her findings have gone into the HSE recommendations that people like the MCA and Civil Aviation Authority now follow. She commented that the Ishihara test is designed to be incredibly sensitive and anyone with even a slight colour defect will fail it (e.g. me.) Follow up tests are then essential to determine whether or not you are actually up to the requirements of your job.

Comment

I want to be a engineer also

i have sat and failed those tests although i feel i could have done better due to the fact students tested me etc and didnt have the correct glasses with me so may contact another place and not the uni i went to as its a frustration and i am curious if it would help

so i am currently restricted which makes it much harder for me to get a sponser so im looking for companys and may re sit these tests to double check as i felt rushed and wasnt explained right etc etc to many things against it if you get me so i might phone about see if somewhere will just do those tests and not the whole load i did at a uni
                  Adapt and over come

Comment

plus i am not colour blind i have colour weakness with green but only when it is daft shades and the funny thing is im about to do a int 2 in electrical installation which again is frustrating as i can do the work but tests say other wise so I WANT RE TESTED as you never know
                    Adapt and over come

Comment

Have you tried practising with the online test here? http://www.colblindor.com/color-arrangement-test/ This is reasonably realistic. I found having a normal colour vision person show me how it should go made a big difference - I knew what I was aiming for and could then do it OK.

Sounds like it could be worth trying the online version a bit then having the test again somewhere else. It should only be carried out in bright natural light, and morning light is the best apparently.

Comment

yeah i tried them before going and will do again spend a few days with ma mum or dad workin on it and get another test done and when doing it i will still be applying as maersk etc are still in the pipeline but as a say i think i will get a re test
                        Adapt and over come

Comment

haha just done that test and i have done it many many times and i got slightly for the first time thats annoying really do want a re test now for sure im saving that actually
                          Adapt and over come

Comment

well thats jo tankers off the list got a e-mail today saying they aren't recruiting and alot of there kit is colour codded when its cables im restricted with ohwell shall march on
                            Adapt and over come

Comment

Working...
                            X