Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are James Fisher like?

Hey guys

still looking at companies spoke to james fisher they also said not a problem with my restriction i was just wondeing if anyone new anything about them what colleges they use etc etc??

cheers
    Be what you want to be not what other people tell you to be
    Adapt and over come
    Careers At Sea Ambassador

Re: James fisher

I sent them my application a couple of weeks ago. Im pinning my hopes on a chance with Fisher, Meridian or Clyde, although Meridian are the only people that are willing to see me! Fisher seem very good. I base this on the fact that i like the recruitment lady very much and they had nice stationary. Unfortunately I can be of no further help to you. I met them at Fleetwood college for the open day. Have you been to one yet?

Comment

no not yet will need to keep my ears open for one close to me that might boost my chances quite a bit if i get to speak to them and explain my situation to them and why i would be worth having haha.
      Adapt and over come

Comment

Originally posted by Mariner
        I sent them my application a couple of weeks ago. Im pinning my hopes on a chance with Fisher, Meridian or Clyde, although Meridian are the only people that are willing to see me! Fisher seem very good. I base this on the fact that i like the recruitment lady very much and they had nice stationary. Unfortunately I can be of no further help to you. I met them at Fleetwood college for the open day. Have you been to one yet?
        Advising to try and score with Meridian out of them 3 choices, they keep us cadets top priority and give us more freebies
        Life at sea is a life for me

Comment

where do they train and how do i best apply?
          Adapt and over come

Comment

Originally posted by stronglead
            where do they train and how do i best apply?
            They take on students for all marine colleges, STC, warsash etc. The only way i know of to apply is to go through SSTG, best way as well as they look after you well.

Comment

orite wont be able to do that then as i have a cable work restriction and they couldn't do anything for me though i think its one of places i phoned and they said it wont be a problem so i might just have to apply direct
              Adapt and over come

Comment

Thanks for that Brimbo will bare it in mind. I havent actually gone through SSTG though, ive gone direct to Meridian as Steve wont touch me with a barge pole as i have no A-Levels.
                Do you know anything about the test Meridian give you on the assesment day?

Comment

Regarding background on James Fisher's, their main trade is in coastal tankers which generally trade around the UK and Western Europe (France/Holland etc). These ships are generally Liberian Flag, with a few British/Gibraltar registered ships thrown in and operate with mostly Eastern European crews. Because most of them are coaster sized they only carry 2 engineers, although a few of the bigger ones might carry 3 (C/E, 2/E and 3/E), but they certainly don't have Leckies.
                  Fishers only got into oil tankers in the mid 90s when they bought the former P&O Tanker fleet (another victory for Sterling), as well as the remnants of the fleets of Metcalfe Motor Coasters and Rowbothams. In recent years they've expanded by purchasing the tanker fleet of F.T Everard. It's good to see Fishers still on the go, albeit with mostly foreign crews and foreign flag ships, but it's sad that some famous old names have disappeared in the process.
                  Fishers also run the PNTL ships which carry nuclear fuel for power stations, they operate out of Barrow (Fishers homebase), and generally run UK-France-Japan but actual trips to sea are infrequent, they spend most of the year tied up. It's a requirement that all onboard these ships are British nationals and all are subjected to security background checks. From what I've heard they're good ships to be on, with decent money, however they spend most of their time alongside in Barrow and promotion is most definitely dead mans shoes.
                  I believe Fishers sent most of their cadets to Fleetwood.

Information here:

http://www.james-fisher.co.uk/people_careers_cadet.php

Comment

well i gotta try end of the day im limited as it is and its getting tighter and tighter to be honest
                    Adapt and over come

Comment

Originally posted by Mariner
                      Thanks for that Brimbo will bare it in mind. I havent actually gone through SSTG though, ive gone direct to Meridian as Steve wont touch me with a barge pole as i have no A-Levels.
                      Do you know anything about the test Meridian give you on the assesment day?
                      If anything it will be a basic aptitude test, i had a similar one with Campbell Maritime, a simple maths one, and maybe a one on basic ship terms. Nothing hard though.

Comment

theres some meridian lads in my group. the company is called pacific basin . you can apply direct to meridian though http://www.pacificbasin.com/en/home/ind ... thod=index
                        Maybe I will never be
                        All the things that I want to be
                        But now is not the time to cry
                        Now's the time to find out why

Comment

there is a PNTL cadet here at STC, HND engine
                          Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

well so far i have applied to maersk and im on file like everyone else right now.

My james fisher application is nearly good to go.

Jo tankers still need to get back to me im on there to do list haha.

going to make a cv for the likes of meridiaian.

Any other suggestions?????
                            Adapt and over come

Comment

Clyde Marine?
                              I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Working...
                              X