Royal or Merchant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royal or Merchant?

Having a dispute with someone over which is better for pay and respect etc, any thoughts? ive heard merchant pays a lot better but im unsure on this.
    Life at sea is a life for me

Re: Royal or Merchant?

From what I've heard Merchant is better in the long run, and you have more responsibilty early on in your career. New qualified engineers/deckies can expect to earn 23000-27000 when newly qualified, and if you reach chief or master your looking at 55000+.
    Its really a totally different kettle of fish.

Comment

if you read some of the other posts you'll see the royal navy is under threat in the strategic defence review, so MN seems a better choice, lots of other reasons too
      Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

I wanted to join the Royal navy I think there's something about it that i find alluring, probably because your part of the forces, where as in the MN you're just a civilian on a ship (not knocking it). I may still in the future but at the moment the government is cutting the defense budget like chris said ^^. Plus i woudl say you probably get a bit more freedom in the MN.

I would say the respect is greater in the RN and they also have/had bonuses for certain areas. Also you could be a warfare and weapons technician or you could be a engineer on a nuclear sub or something cool like that.

Comment

'Just' a civilian on a ship?! Huh! You won't be saying that after you've got through the exams!

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Don't join the Andrew if you like the idea of being on a ship or on the high sea; 2/3rds of the average career is spent at shore establishments, and the grey funnel line spend half the time tied up in Pompey. Your pay is taxed too. Join if you like being a manager of men with side duties associated with being on a ship. The fringe benefits are still good, despite the best efforts of various governments.
            '... English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't
            just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages
            down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for
            new vocabulary.' - James Davis Nicoll

Comment

Originally posted by size4riggerboots
              'Just' a civilian on a ship?! Huh! You won't be saying that after you've got through the exams!
              it wasn't meant to be derogatory, i know it's hard work. =]

Also congrats on finishing your exams.

Comment

Working...
              X