Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best companies to apply for Deck Cadetship? January 2019 intake

Hi all,
    I'm looking to do a Deck Cadetship, it just looking for the right sponsors. I have Grade C in English, Maths and Science (Taken 2014) plus went to univeristy to complete HNC in Education studies (2018) but making a big leap to Merchant Navy as its something I've always wanted to do as my grandfathers and my dad worked for merchant navy especially P & O cruises.

Would I be better off re-doing the GCSEs I've got or what? Is there any sponsors that will take me on for these grades. Applied to CMT and SSTG.

Any advice would be much appreciated

You just need to look at the entry requirements for each company. It also depends on your taste but with those grades you choice might be a bit more restricted but there are still training providers who will take you on.

Comment

Originally posted by DeafSailor View Post
      Hi all,
      I'm looking to do a Deck Cadetship, it just looking for the right sponsors. I have Grade C in English, Maths and Science (Taken 2014) plus went to univeristy to complete HNC in Education studies (2018) but making a big leap to Merchant Navy as its something I've always wanted to do as my grandfathers and my dad worked for merchant navy especially P & O cruises.

Would I be better off re-doing the GCSEs I've got or what? Is there any sponsors that will take me on for these grades. Applied to CMT and SSTG.

Any advice would be much appreciated
      C or above should fall into the requirements for most companies, I reckon youll have a decent chance with the SSTG. I'm a phase 2 deck with them so if you have any questions about em give us a shout

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

Grades are high enough for entry to the HNC/D course and would be ok for most sponsors. Company wise just try and get a company that hires their cadets afterwards so you don’t get stuck in the need experience to get a job/need a job to get experience cycle. Companies that hire their cadets: Carnival UK, P&O Ferries through SSTG, Maersk, Pritchard Gordon, Fishers, Whitaker’s, Royal Caribbean (directly with them or through CMT), RFA, Stena Ferries (through Northern Marine Management I believe).

Comment

i have the same GCSE and its not all about them when applying because i have interviews off companies even though i dont have the gcses, its about what youve done e.g sea cadets or scouts, dofe things like that

Comment

Although the above is true and can set you apart, there is a bit of a barrier for people with lower than the requirement of 5 GCSEs at C grade (including maths and a science): the colleges can’t accept people with less than the requirement regardless of the sponsors input. A case of “computer says no”.

Comment

Originally posted by agibbs98 View Post
              Grades are high enough for entry to the HNC/D course and would be ok for most sponsors. Company wise just try and get a company that hires their cadets afterwards so you don’t get stuck in the need experience to get a job/need a job to get experience cycle. Companies that hire their cadets: Carnival UK, P&O Ferries through SSTG, Maersk, Pritchard Gordon, Fishers, Whitaker’s, Royal Caribbean (directly with them or through CMT), RFA, Stena Ferries (through Northern Marine Management I believe).
              IM with Mr Gibbs on this one, i joined with P&O and have found it a brilliant experience so far, actually... i think it was Gibbs here that finally made me go for P&O in the first place.

SSTG are a good company aswell, they are all to happy to help on the end of the phone. plus Steve is cracking.

Comment

Best advice is to apply to as many as possible, then you've got a choice at the end of the day

Comment

What companies did you get an interview with? If you don't mind me asking? And thanks for the advice.

Comment

Working...
                  X