Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are tattoos acceptable?

Hi Everyone,

Im 20yrs old and looking into applying to Carnival/Viking as a Deck Cadet. I will obviously bring this up at interview ( assuming i get that far! ) but i was just wondering if anyone here would know.

I have various tattoo's on my arms and legs but nothing below the elbow and nothing even close to above the collar line. Would it still hamper my chances of employment if they were slightly on show (the one on my right arm tends to just peak below a standard t shirt sleeve)?

Thanks for your time in advance.

Re: Are Tattoo's Acceptable?

Carnival "might" have an issue with it, due to the "perceprition" of tattoo's but cargo companies arent that bothered, as you have kept them "semi private" it isnt an issue.

I have several all are hidden by the uniform that I dont wear (I love box boats rugby top and shorts IS a uniform )

So ask them, but if they have a problem, Clyde wont, nor will most box, tanker, off shore boat types.
    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Hi Chiefy,

Thanks for your advice, and speedy reply. I would totally understand if they did have a problem with it as there is a certain stigma still attached to tattoo's. Ill just have to convince them im not a hooligan or wrong'n

Thanks Again.

P.S ill update this thread when i have a definative answer

Comment

No worries, like I say if they do...ther are some less disearning employers around
        Trust me I'm a Chief.

No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Comment

Yeah cruise ships don't like visible tattoos, I was asked if I had any when I had my interview with Chiltern (Who had recently been taken over by the people who run Viking) as they often put cadets on cruise ships. I just said none visible (it's well hidden, even my mum didn't see it for 4 years after I'd had it done!) Bear in mind that the ones on your arms may be an issue for them, as the shirts tend to be quite see through (very see through in some cases, I was quietly asked to go buy some white bras when I was on the QM!!). They may not mind so much for engineers though, and some cruise lines are snobbier than others, but as Chiefy says, there's lots of other options out there

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Disney are quite picky over it I believe. One lad in our class had a tattoo on his wrist, which could have been hidden by a watch strap, but was still refused by Disney.
            I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefy
              but cargo companies arent that bothered, as you have kept them "semi private" it isnt an issue.
              are forearms ok? or will i be confined to wearing long sleeves for the rest of my career?

Haven't got one yet, but contemplating it.

Comment

Wait and see who you end up working for and what the standards are, no point in getting something now that will narrow your options at this early stage. I'm considering getting some more work done, but only when I've finished my cadetship and got a job.

Size4riggerboots

Comment

yeah that's what i was thinking.

you don't have to wait, you just have to get it where nobody will see it. =]

do you have many? do you work on cruise ships?

Comment

I got placed on a cruise ship for one trip, but I don't work for them. I only have one, very small one, on my backside, I got it done when I was 16 (holy crap, I've had it for 12 years! ) and had to get something my mum wouldn't spot when we were on the beach. I stepped backwards into the shower when she was in the bathroom for 4 years!! Now I'd like it incorporated into something bigger and prettier. But if I end up working for a cruise ship, and have one that goes up my back to where it could be seen under a shirt, it could be an issue.

Size4riggerboots

Comment

16? how'd you manage that. I had to wait for forever well 18 but it seemed like forever.

can i ask what it is?
                      you could incorperate downwards first, unless you have to wear skirts on a cruise ship. or could you not just wear a vest under your shirt?

as you have worked on a cruise is it more fun to work on a cruise or on what i would call a dirty ship (ie. cargo, oil) in terms of comradeship?

Comment

Lol, people were a lot less bothered about id in those days! It's, now no sniggering, a chinese symbol (which does mean what they said it means, I checked with some of the Chinese girls at school) I still like what it means and don't regret it, but it's a bit blue and faded now (inks have really improved since then) and id like to get it sharpened up and incorporate it into something more organic and nautical.

Size4riggerboots

Comment

Pirate Parrot on my shoulder
                          6 hedghogs top of left arm intertwined with celtic band
                          parrot top of right arm (plain black)

uniform covers it all
                          Trust me I'm a Chief.

Comment

Originally posted by Chiefy
                            6 hedghogs top of left arm intertwined with celtic band
                            This I have to see! Can we have a pic please?

Size4riggerboots

Comment

i didn't snigger, but i did lol at the thought of you dropping your knickers in front of some random chinese girls (i'm sure that's not how it went but it sounds funny.)
                              My uncle got a drunken chinese symbol, it didn't mean what he thought it meant

Nautical tattoos are very cool, especially the traditional ones.

forget the hedgehogs i wanna see the pirate parrot

Comment

Working...
                              X