Cover letter inspiration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cover letter inspiration

Firstly, how long should a cover letter generally be?

Mine is looking pretty thin at the moment and I'm struggling to get much down on the page without it feeling a tad unnecessary/irrelevant.

Any tips on areas to write about would be appreciated as I'm fairly inexperienced with cover letters and may well be missing out some key bits.

Cheers

Oz

Helps if you have a job description to work on. Then your cover letter should aim to touch on every skill they ask for in the description. I would group together 2-3 attributes they want and explain in a paragraph why I meet them because I've done so and so.

If not, you kind of need to rewrite your CV in more elegant prose, selling what makes you stand out as an individual.

It also really needs to be tailored to the company you are applying for, dont just top and tail the address! Recruiters will see through that a mile away.
    Superyacht OOW
    SSTG Cadet 2015-2017
    Ex Royal Navy Navigator.

Comment

**** it here's one of mine, copy it word for word and you're an idiot.

My name is Snowy, and I am an energetic and experienced British Deck Officer seeking a Watchkeeping position within a prestigious cruise line. Building on an eight-year career in the Royal Navy, I have recently gained my UK STCW II/1 Deck OOW Certificate of Competency, thanks to a cadetship with blah blah and so and so cruise lines.

I hope my key strengths of practical navigation planning and bridge management, along with my proven integrity and teamwork would make me an asset to the smaller bridge teams of SilverWindBournStarSaga Cruises. I am fluent with various forms of ECDIS, including their maintenance, and have also sailed as a Cadet with paper charts.

My interesting background, amiable nature and strong interpersonal skills also allow me to shine with passengers. I take great pride in sharing my craft with guests and have a very strong track record of hosting at both formal dinners and cocktail parties as well as conducting well received bridge tours and navigation talks.

Finally my military career has given me an unbeatable foundation in leadership and problem solving. This translates directly to the commercial world of cruising: With my ingrained understanding of the unpredictable marine environment I am a safe but flexible member of the deck department, able to follow set SOP’s or if necessary work from my own initiative. This goes hand in hand with my ability to succinctly communicate across all ranks and I am comfortable in briefing complex issues to my team and putting together detailed operational reports for the highest levels of management.

Although foremost a safe and professional bridge watchkeeper, I believe that I am a ‘wholeship’ Officer. My sense of humour pairs with my determined work ethic to meet each challenge with a positive attitude, and the result is a richer cruising experience for passengers and crew alike.

I am looking to regain the momentum of my previous career and believe this Second Officer position will allow me to build on my recent training whilst maintaining my professional core. I would like to achieve my Chief Mate’s prerequisites as soon as possible, from there Seagoing Command remains my ultimate ambition.

I enclose a CV and look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks for your time,
      Superyacht OOW
      SSTG Cadet 2015-2017
      Ex Royal Navy Navigator.

Comment

Ah, just noticed you're applying for a cadetship, sorry you caught me mid rant about job seeking post Orals!!

Although the same can be said, it shouldn't be more than a page of A4 IMO. It is to draw their attention in 3 or so paragraphs of prose to what makes you special and better than the competition, with facts contained in your CV. See your CV and CL as complementing each other, use it to expand on the facts and allow you to keep your CV short and to the point.
        Superyacht OOW
        SSTG Cadet 2015-2017
        Ex Royal Navy Navigator.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Snowy! It has definitely gotten a few new cogs turning and I can see now that it's more important to sell myself to the position rather than explain why the position was appealing to me.

Congrats on your recent job offer by the way. Looks like you've been putting the work in for it.

Comment

Read the advert for the job. If they say they want a dedicated individual make sure your covering letter says you are a dedicated individual. Look at there website see if they have a mission statement or list of values and principles. Do same with these use their words to describe yourself. This works on two levels first it's a subtle way to show you have you done your research. Alot of companies use computer programs for an initial vetting of CVS and they are basically searching for these key words.

Comment

Definitely +1 on the algorithms used to vet the initial CV's – if you don't put down the buzz words and competencies that they are looking for, then your CV's and Cover Letters will just go in the bin.

You may feel like you are 'fibbing' but not really – just doing your research as Lewis says!

Comment

Working...
              X