Which sections from the Highe Maths course are in the FD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which sections from the Highe Maths course are in the FD

Right, just started doing higher maths a wee while ago from getting an A at Int 2, however this stuff we learn is higher is not nice at all! Probably from lacking basic skills. So just wondering what parts of the higher maths course you actually use in the Foundation Degree?

Thanks in advance.
    "Knowledge is gained through experience and experience is just another name for our mistakes" - Albert Einstein/Oscar Wilde
    "Choose a career that you really enjoy and you will never have to work a single day in life."

Experience with Container, General Cargo and Cruise vessels.

Re: Which sections from the Highe Maths course are in the FD

well i did a-level english equiv ! and during this first four weeks we are doing alot of maths much of which is from a-level maths and physics but they break you in slowly as there is some older lads in there who havent been to school in a while. just stick it out and do well
    Maybe I will never be
    All the things that I want to be
    But now is not the time to cry
    Now's the time to find out why

Comment

Originally posted by Beef1992
      well i did a-level english equiv ! and during this first four weeks we are doing alot of maths much of which is from a-level maths and physics but they break you in slowly as there is some older lads in there who havent been to school in a while. just stick it out and do well
      Ok, cheers Beef. So tell me, What topics are you doing?
      "Knowledge is gained through experience and experience is just another name for our mistakes" - Albert Einstein/Oscar Wilde
      "Choose a career that you really enjoy and you will never have to work a single day in life."

Experience with Container, General Cargo and Cruise vessels.

Comment

Its ****ing solid!

I'm one of the older lads that beefy mentioned, not been at school or done any in-depth maths for about 7 years? So the last couple of dahys have really been a struggle for me. It is coming back though, slowly.

Just a case of putting a bit of effort in 2/3 nights a week in your room, make sure you are up to speed.

What we've done so far is polynominal division - serious WTF from me, never did that at school! calculating volume of tanks, density and relative density of tanks etc etc... this is only my second proper day though.

As an ETO ive also been calculating resistance and current thorugh resistors etc...

It's been alot harder than i expected if im honest, long time since ive sat in a classroom being taught maths!

Comment

yeh we have done the same. but a tad more. Basic and advanced trig, pressure m thermo dynamics. i have had 3months of and it was daunting for me. getting back into it. yeh i explained some of it to one of the older guys behind me about cross multiplying in transpotion of formula
          Maybe I will never be
          All the things that I want to be
          But now is not the time to cry
          Now's the time to find out why

Comment

partial fractions
            Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

wiki

...from your other thread:
              Originally posted by chris
              We're racing along in the academic classes though, partial fractions, inductive reactance etc in the first few days
              mebbies you ought to avail yourself of a copy of K Stroud's "Engineering Mathematics"?
              Or for specifically Electro type sums, there's this one: http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/2673 ... %26+Nature
              (Give bookbutler.com a go...)
              Emeritus Admin & Founding Member

Comment

k stroud - the lecturer mentioned that one I think

I'm going to pop into the library and have a look at it when I get out my depth, but I'm doing ok so far, not so good at making cable trays though...
                Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

You mean I'm not going to have a use for all those imaginary and complex numbers that have been drilled into me the last two years? I quite fancied using a maclaurins series to work out which way is north...

Comment

Don't worry kayak, cel nav and stability have plenty of maths to baffle you! I don't know what a maclaurins series is (and I don't want to) but we do have this little book called Norrie's Tables...

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

Working...
                    X