Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Criminal record

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Criminal record

    Hi am wondering if i can get a bit of advise either from someone who's went through a similar experience or someone who has came across this post(before anyone tells me to search for it i have and nothing really helped).
    I am 19 at the moment but will be 20 in March, I was charged with an assault and a breach of the piece in July but the incident took place last July, was extremely stupid of myself to even let that happened but people make mistakes differently and that was my mistake, i just turned 18 and got into a fight one night after being in a pub, I was given a fine and a payback order.
    So am really just wondering what are my chances of getting a cadetship (Engineering) am still at college studying engineering i also do some voluntary work for veterans and people with disabilities ill have the qualifications in may to apply for one so realistically is it worth it? my friend is a engine cadet and said they're is a shortage for engineers well his training provider is would that work in my favour?.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Borat View Post
    Hi am wondering if i can get a bit of advise either from someone who's went through a similar experience or someone who has came across this post(before anyone tells me to search for it i have and nothing really helped).
    I am 19 at the moment but will be 20 in March, I was charged with an assault and a breach of the piece in July but the incident took place last July, was extremely stupid of myself to even let that happened but people make mistakes differently and that was my mistake, i just turned 18 and got into a fight one night after being in a pub, I was given a fine and a payback order.
    So am really just wondering what are my chances of getting a cadetship (Engineering) am still at college studying engineering i also do some voluntary work for veterans and people with disabilities ill have the qualifications in may to apply for one so realistically is it worth it? my friend is a engine cadet and said they're is a shortage for engineers well his training provider is would that work in my favour?.
    Best to ask the company you apply to really. There is a guy I know of but his was 6 year ago, he is phase 5. Honestly though, couldn't tell you

    Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

    Comment


    • #3
      Hi
      Best advice will probably to be honest as most companies require a US visa and they will find out at this stage. However you could apply for companies that only work in the UK such as north star or boston putfurds and not mention it but this would be your last option. You could also phone up companies anonymously and just ask them about there policy use a fake name

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Nemo_Ryan View Post
        Best to ask the company you apply to really. There is a guy I know of but his was 6 year ago, he is phase 5. Honestly though, couldn't tell you

        Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
        Thanks for the reply!, do you know if he had any problem getting a visa? and what company he with?

        Comment


        • #5
          He is with V ships. Don't mention it if you apply. I don't know about the visa though sorry

          Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

          Comment


          • #6
            Good evening, I was a cadet with James Fisher and have a criminal record. I disclosed everything on the application form and in interviews etc and am now a 2nd officer. So this should answer your question. If you find a good company they shouldn't discriminate unless it's something they feel would put you or others in danger. Re American visas, I haven't needed one, but I've travelled to America multiple times since my conviction, again declaring it on ESTA forms etc and haven't had any problems. You may have problems with the Canadians however. Any more questions, let me know and I'll try and help as best I can.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by WeeBernard View Post
              Hi
              Best advice will probably to be honest as most companies require a US visa and they will find out at this stage. However you could apply for companies that only work in the UK such as north star or boston putfurds and not mention it but this would be your last option. You could also phone up companies anonymously and just ask them about there policy use a fake name
              Thanks for replying!, I wouldn't really want to risk it and then the company finding out 6 months down the line but I will ask around.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Nemo_Ryan View Post
                He is with V ships. Don't mention it if you apply. I don't know about the visa though sorry

                Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk
                Don't mention it if you apply? So when they find out you technically lied to them they can sack you? Hmmm....�� Doesn't sound like a very good plan to me. However your honesty issues are yours alone.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Sgd View Post
                  Don't mention it if you apply? So when they find out you technically lied to them they can sack you? Hmmm....�� Doesn't sound like a very good plan to me. However your honesty issues are yours alone.
                  I meant the other guy. Bad communication on my part

                  Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Sgd View Post
                    Good evening, I was a cadet with James Fisher and have a criminal record. I disclosed everything on the application form and in interviews etc and am now a 2nd officer. So this should answer your question. If you find a good company they shouldn't discriminate unless it's something they feel would put you or others in danger. Re American visas, I haven't needed one, but I've travelled to America multiple times since my conviction, again declaring it on ESTA forms etc and haven't had any problems. You may have problems with the Canadians however. Any more questions, let me know and I'll try and help as best I can.
                    may I ask what you were charged with?, thanks you've given me the tiniest bit of hope that I haven't destroyed my life I believe it would also be best to disclose everything. Would I need to disclose it if it was a spend conviction?.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      http://www.officercadet.com/archive/...hp/t-6625.html

                      This might help. There's someone there who claims that a friend has a common assault conviction and got a US visa. Your mileage may vary however and after starting at college is not the best time to find out. The fact that you were given a community (payback) order suggests a medium-high level of seriousness so it really all depends on how well you make your case.

                      Many companies will ask about convictions as standard, you need to be honest, and if you're applying for a company that will need a US visa then even if they don't ask you need to mention it to avoid hassle down the line.



                      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                      sigpic
                      Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at christopher.doyle@officercadet.com.

                      Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by CharlieDelta View Post
                        http://www.officercadet.com/archive/...hp/t-6625.html

                        This might help. There's someone there who claims that a friend has a common assault conviction and got a US visa. Your mileage may vary however and after starting at college is not the best time to find out. The fact that you were given a community (payback) order suggests a medium-high level of seriousness so it really all depends on how well you make your case.


                        Many companies will ask about convictions as standard, you need to be honest, and if you're applying for a company that will need a US visa then even if they don't ask you need to mention it to avoid hassle down the line.



                        Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                        thank you.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X