Aspiring Master/Deck Officer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paul Nica View Post
    I don't undeestand seabound. Do you mean its too late to apply for a sponsorship or too early?
    Neither. I mean that the cadet doesn't usually sign up to a course and then seek funding - the general route is you apply for companies (who have allocated slots at most, if not all, merchant navy courses around the uk) and then pick a spot. If a company offers you sponsorship then it's generally on their terms as they have their own links.

Search CMT on the forums, there's plenty of threads about pretty much all the companies (and their pros/cons).

Comment

I should probably point out, there's a difference between a sponsorship and a cadetship. Most companies don't offer sponsorships - they offer cadetships. I don't know the exact details but I'd imagine it ties into the tonnage tax relief a company gains from taking cadets on board.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Nica View Post
        Matt, I was thinking of LJMU because its closer from where I live( i live in stoke at the moment) and i was thinking to travel to liverpool the first year and then move over there in the second year.
        Also, almost all companies insist you live on site for the first phase.

Comment

People like SSTG and Chiltern do offered limted sponsorship to people at Plymouth. But its usually only for sea time and short courses. Its also not guaranteed

Comment

Hi Paul, not many Trainees go through the University route but it is possible. The University will accept you onto the course if you meet the academic criteria but as they have advised, if you wish to obtain a CoC then you must find a willing sponsoring company. A lot of sponsoring companies will be interested in your application as you will have already made a commitment to cover your academic fees yourself - presumably via Student Loans.

A sponsor will have to fund your STCW short courses and your sponsorship allowance during seatime. You might find that some sponsors will also contribute to your living expenses while at University and possibly even a proportion of the academic fees. Just work your way down the list of sponsoring companies on the careers at sea website.

Good luck

Comment

I am doing the foundation degree at the moment at Fleetwood, which is awarded by LJMU. After I finish the cadetship I can either do a couple of days a week at the uni for a year to top it up, or use a distance learning package to do it while I earn. Whilst it will take 4 years it will cost about ?30k less than doing it as a normal degree!

Comment

I hope the interview went well!

I keep seeing CMT getting a hard time here - whether or not you agree with the 'tonnage-tax' companies at least Clyde are up front about your chances of getting a job at the end of the cadetship. SSTG and V-Group might pay a little more as a cadet but as far as I'm aware chances of employment are still rare.

In particular one of the above seem to really be pushing their cadet program but then don't openly state that they only recruit officers from Eastern Europe and India despite having a rather big officer in Glasgow... It's a sad state of affairs but the number 1 concern I would have applying for a cadetship again would be who gives me the best chance of a jobs straight after qualifying. Even if you don't like it, those first stamps are all important.

Comment

Isnt it just bibby ship management cadetship re badged

Comment

Working...
                  X