Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspiring Master/Deck Officer

Hello guys.

I am new to this forum, so please forgive me if I posted in the wrong section. I am 19 years old and in September I will start my Nautical Science course at LJMU. I will have an interview with Clyde Marine Training next week and I have got a couple of questions. As far as I read through different sections of this forum, it might take a while for CMT to give me an answer whether I got accepted or not, so, my question is, should I apply for more sponsoring companies before I have my interview with CMT? If yes, can you guys provide me with some other sponsoring companies; I already applied for Viking, Conway, Princess and Chiltern, but I did not get any answer from any of these. Another question would be, what questions I might get asked during the interview because they sent me different information such as: types of ships, their speed, the number of crew that are required on those ships. Also, I would like to ask you guys, what kind of questions can I ask CMT at the end of the interview? Can I ask them questions, such as: if i will get paid during my course and how much, what company I will do my placement for, etc.

Many thanks.

Yes, apply for as many as you can! There's also SSTG, Anglo Eastern and Carisbrooke Shipping off the top of my head.

I had an interview with CMT at the tail end of last year and they asked questions on pretty much every single piece of information they sent over so don't skimp on the research. Even if you don't go with CMT it'll be good background knowledge for you. I was open with CMT and told them that I was waiting to hear back from a couple of other companies after my interview - honesty is the best policy. Just remember to stay professional.

I'm hesitant to answer your questions about pay and potential sponsor companies as all that information is on their website. You're only shooting yourself in the foot if you give the impression that you haven't researched their company during the interview. Get on it!

Out of curiousity, why are you applying to sponsors now if you're already starting your course in Sept?

Comment

Your not doing a cadetship then?

Comment

Seriously look at SSTG or Anglo Eastern or Vships over CMT

Comment

Originally posted by SeaboundBySunrise View Post
          Yes, apply for as many as you can! There's also SSTG, Anglo Eastern and Carisbrooke Shipping off the top of my head.

I had an interview with CMT at the tail end of last year and they asked questions on pretty much every single piece of information they sent over so don't skimp on the research. Even if you don't go with CMT it'll be good background knowledge for you. I was open with CMT and told them that I was waiting to hear back from a couple of other companies after my interview - honesty is the best policy. Just remember to stay professional.

I'm hesitant to answer your questions about pay and potential sponsor companies as all that information is on their website. You're only shooting yourself in the foot if you give the impression that you haven't researched their company during the interview. Get on it!

Out of curiousity, why are you applying to sponsors now if you're already starting your course in Sept?
          LMJU told me that, in order to start my course, they need to see a proof that I have been accepted by a sponsoring company in order to do my cadetship during the summer of every year while I am studying.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt247 View Post
            Seriously look at SSTG or Anglo Eastern or Vships over CMT
            Yes, I will do my cadetship during the summer of every year while I am at university. Thank you Matt, I will look at those companies.

Comment

Have you looked at full cadet sponsorship instead of paying LJMU for the privilege

Comment

Matt, what do you mean by full cadet sponsorship?

Comment

Someone like SSTG OR Anglo Eastern with take you on a cadetship.....FD or HND and pay all the fees and a living allowance and sea time and all short courses paid for.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Nica View Post
                    Matt, what do you mean by full cadet sponsorship?
                    Paul, if you're asking that then I'm a little worried that you may not have looked into this carear path thoroughly enough. The general path is:

-Apply to a sponsor company as either a deck officer/electronic engingeer/engineer.
                    -Attend an interview with the interested companies.
                    -If you're successful then they'll pair you up with a sponsor company and a university/college.
                    -You'll essentially be an employee of them then, and they'll pay you X amount a month to live on plus your education fees. It varies from company to company but that's the gist of it.

If you haven't checked out Careers At Sea then I'd seriously recommend giving the Start Here part a read.

Comment

Unless your dead set on LJMU for some reason it seems pointless paying. Plymouth do a similar course. Many dont actually go to sea on it .o

Comment

Matt, I was thinking of LJMU because its closer from where I live( i live in stoke at the moment) and i was thinking to travel to liverpool the first year and then move over there in the second year. I have already applied for SSTG, Anglo Eastern and Vships and I'm waiting for an answer from them. Thanks a lot for the help. I've got a question, why did you say to pick any of these 3 over CMT. Why are they better?

Comment

Originally posted by SeaboundBySunrise View Post
                          I don't undeestand seabound. Do you mean its too late to apply for a sponsorship or too early?

Comment

If you take a fully sponsored option you dont usually choose the college. Usually to Fleetwood STC Glasgow or Warsash. The Conway Trust are the only ones usually using LJMU and its only usually small numbers

Comment

Check out hatcorders thread whose still recruiting

Comment

Working...
                              X