Interview whilst waiting to hear back from other companies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview whilst waiting to hear back from other companies

If I am successful at interview and get offered a position in the Jan 17 intake would there be any implications if I am then offered something better for the Sept 17 intake?

Regards

(I am a graduate engineer looking to obtain EOOW via the alternative route. I have been advised to apply to shipping companies directly as well training companies with the former being the preferred choice due to knowing what company you will work with, improved chances of a job at the end of training and a better wage. The training company has got back to me quickly to offer me an interview.)

Given current date, it's doubtful you will get better offer for September in take if you get a January offer now.
    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean?

Comment

I think what he means is that it is very early to be offering places for September so you wont know if there is a better offer before you would have to commit to the January start. Most companies will be busy finishing off the jan starts so will then be interviewing after that for September.
        you can take it with a pinch of salt, but i prefer it with a nip of whisky

Comment

If that is the case then that's kind of the point of my question.

What would the implications be if I accepted the first position I was offered and then a better offer comes along which I would rather take? In a regular job it would be quite simple...quit and start the new one. Is that not an option? Deferred entry to Sept 17 to buy me some time perhaps?

Comment

Once you have started at the college - then no, you can't change employers / sponsors.
            ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
            myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

What is the reason for that?

Comment

Originally posted by Papa Bravo View Post
                What is the reason for that?
                The employer is your sponsor, paid for tuition fees and uniform/equipment. You'd be contractually obligated to complete the course, train on their ships etc. If you changed employers or pulled out after a certain time then you'd have to pay them back costs in the thousands, that they have spent on your development.

There's not really much else to say, other than you'd be screwed out of cash and have to explain to a new sponsor why you pulled out of the previous one.

Comment

Thanks groot. I take it there is some sort of cut off though. I mean are drop outs all contractually obliged to fork out thousands as soon as they start? (if you get what I mean?)

Comment

Basically yes. You'll have to sign a contract and once you've signed that then you are usually contractually obliged to pay several thousand pounds if you drop out. Although if you left before you actually started college (and therefore they wouldn't have spent any money on you) then you'd probably be ok.

Comment

If it's the same as my old college, they have a cost for tuition per week, add up the weeks you spent there and charge that. That's how the college does it with govt fees, not quite sure how companies do it in the MN but I'd imagine it's similar. Depends on what courses you've done, how far into the course you are etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Papa Bravo View Post
                        Thanks groot. I take it there is some sort of cut off though. I mean are drop outs all contractually obliged to fork out thousands as soon as they start? (if you get what I mean?)
                        Also the companies can only claim goverment funding for you once - once a company has claimed for you - no other one can, thus no one else will touch you
                        ?Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn?t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.?

? Mark Twain
                        myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Comment

I'm sorry I didn't realise I was supposed to guess the meaning of the question, as asked you state what if you get a better offer after accepting an offer at a different time, though having read further your replies it's obvious you have done very little research.

This is not a regular job, especially in the training phase, mainly due to funding, but even when qualified, it isnt a regular job, you will see and do things that most people wouldnt ever dream of (and occasionally wouldnt want to dream of )
                          Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
                          Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
                          No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

Thanks, now I know at least. Any suggestions on how to approach this then?

Comment

Chiefy,

If you feel the question should’ve been better worded then you could’ve said. I feel the key was “would there be any implications”.

I’ve looked into this a lot but it seems like a case of every question answered raises more questions.

Comment

Working...
                              X