Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advice needed

hi,
    following a successful interview with SSTG I've being offered several companies for an engine cadetship:

GARDLINE GEO SURVEY
    WHITAKER TANKERS
    P&O FERRIES
    SEA TRUCK FERRIES
    TUI

Which company would you recommend, my gut instinct says go with Whitaker tankers as its good gaining time on tankers and they seem like they will look after their cadets. Has anybody got experience with this company. from what I've read on the internet they are a small family run company doing coastal work. Later on would it be possible to get jobs on different ships like containers etc or would I find it difficult. Any advice or opinions would be great

Who are sstg please as a have not heard of them

Comment

SSTG are a recruitment company who can partner you with sponsoring companies. I've just had an interview they seem real nice and I've read good reports about them. check out the website https://www.sstg.org/

Comment

They are not for profit company if I'm correct. Exist for the benefit of the member companies. Most which would probably be too small to run their own cadet schemes.

Comment

I'd probably go with TUI to be honest but I honestly don't know a lot about any of the companies but based on just a quick look.

GARDLINE: Seem to have smaller, older vessels. May not have equipment that a large vessel will have and as an engineering cadet you will need this.
          WHITAKER: UK based at all times. I've bunkered from whitakers a lot and have a few mates that work with them and it seems to be a very different lifestyle to most ships. Also has that pesky tax problem. I don't know how much tanker experience on these really counts. British crew is always a plus for british cadets.
          P&O and SEATRUCK: This would probably be my second choice. Ferries always seem to be on the lookout so good job prospects if theres nothing else out there.
          TUI: They seem to be growing. Adding new boats all the time so probably a good bet for a stable job after qualifying.

Comment

cheers for the reply beer engineer, what do you mean about whitakers when you say its a different lifestyle to most ships. the ferries and cruise are appealing but am I right in thinking that the pay is less than other sectors. Money isn't the main motivation I want a cadetship which I will learn the most in the engine room. cheers

Comment

Job prospects are better on ferries and cruise for British officers am.told

Comment

cheers for the replies, anyone else got an opinion?

Comment

Originally posted by ren1990 View Post
                  cheers for the reply beer engineer, what do you mean about whitakers when you say its a different lifestyle to most ships. the ferries and cruise are appealing but am I right in thinking that the pay is less than other sectors. Money isn't the main motivation I want a cadetship which I will learn the most in the engine room. cheers
                  Turns out it's hard to explain over a forum ha. I hear due to the way the vessel runs it limits some opportunities i.e. Big jobs don't come around as often, sea days are rare so you don't get those quiet days to learn and it's basically a couple of months of bunkering. It's also an unpredicatable working hours arrangement due to early starts etc.

Don't worry about the wages now. Seriously, the way the industry is you want the best experience and the best teaching. For that I think the bigger the boat, the better. Choose the place where you'll be kept on afterwards and where you'll get the most opportunity to see things happening as it actually helps you when explaining it to Mr Examiner.

Comment

I would suggest either P&O ferries or TUI in terms of your chances of being offered a job as a junior officer at the end of your cadetship.
                    Go out, do stuff

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, I've just being told my place with P&O Ferries has being secured and I'm starting the foundation degree engineering course at Fleetwood on February 13th. Really excited now cant wait to get started. Anyone else being a P&O ferries cadet before what did they think?

Comment

P&O Ferries made my heart sink when I saw they were my sponsor, those dreams of seeing the world gone... I now see more of the world than all of my friend and I do it staying in 5* hotels, and have a nice house, and car at the ripe age of 22

Every cadet gets a job, it's not merit based but is behaviour based.

The short sea ships are entirely British/French crewed so very good for learning, the Irish Sea is very hands on and crewed by many nationalities, the North Sea I hear is good fun and very good for training.

Trip lengths vary but are usually 3 weeks on 1 week off, 2 on 1 off, 10 days on 5 off.

All ships have wifi for free.

Most ships are tax free when qualified.

When you first qualify you'll likely be doing 1 week on 1 week off or 2/2, the wages are very good for juniors.

You can pretty much walk off ferries into a cruise ship job when qualified if wanted, many also end up on drill ships etc...

I enjoy my job here and most do, which is the biggest perk going.

Comment

Im with SSTG and was with PACC shipping but they have pulled out of the uk market so they dont take uk cadets any more, whitakers is my new company and they are very good. they offer you a job at the end of it all as well. id suggest to go for guardline or whitakers.

Comment

Working...
                          X