Starting Deck Officer Training at Glasgow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Aspiring Deck Cadet
    Thanks

Starting Deck Officer Training at Glasgow.

Hi, I'm starting deck officer training at Glasgow on the 1st of September. However, up until a few days ago I was unaware of my level at which I would be talking the course. I believed that I was sitting HND/HNC but was surprised when I saw that I was doing "A Professional Diploma". So from this sudden realisation I am wondering and indeed, worrying, about what extra I will have to be doing. I am aware of the maths test on day 1, which I am very nervous about, but I have heard we need to write reports. I'm fine with that, but now that I'm doing the diploma, things feel a lot worse as I am very bad at English and feel I wouldn't meet standards. I am also confused by the uniform and halls of residence information given as there are 2 sheets saying different things. If anyone can tell me anything about English based tasks involved in the course and indeed anything at all about the course I would appreciate it. As for the accommodation, if anyone can tell me if it is compulsory as I'm not quite 18 yet, I would also be grateful. I have my own clothes for college but I am confused about the NATO jumper. Will that be provided or will I need to acquire it along with Epaulettes?

Also If anyone else is starting at the same level and time as me, please say hello so I get to know people, I struggle at that sometimes.

Any help with any matter is most welcome and appreciated.
    Thank you.

Engineer Officer (CoC: EOOW)
    Thanks
    Can only answer a few questions.

-Staying in accommodation when under 18 is recommended however I do know a few under 18's who haven't stayed in halls. If you do not wish to stay in halls, you are required to write in person to your training provider explaining why.

-Assuming you're with CMT, you will be issued with a NATO jumper, epaulettes, along with some shirts, however this is not usually until around a week or so into the course.

This is just based on my experience, and things may be slightly different now!

3. The following user says Thank You to MacNeil for this useful post:

10thGenDoctor (18th August 2014)

Aspiring Deck Cadet
    Thanks
    Thanks for the information, greatly appreciated.

Deck Cadet
    Thanks
    If you write like that first post, I don't think your standard of English will be a problem! May even beat a few people...

6. The following 2 users say Thank You to Inland Pirate for this useful post:

10thGenDoctor (18th August 2014),Clanky (29th July 2015)

Deck Officer (CoC: Chief Mate)
    Thanks
    Bizarre that companies are signing people up for courses without expressly telling them which one. A number of people have been on here who were under the impression they were doing the HND/C then got to college and found out they were doing the FD/PD

I finished a PD cadetship at Glasgow last year.

Basically you will complete the HND which covers all the theory up to chief mate level. On top of that you will do 3 PD modules: "Communicating and influencing for effective decision making", Managing a project for an organisation" and "Leadership for performance improvement". These have been of no benefit to me whatsoever in my career so far and I have yet to see the point of them. But that's another discussion.

Phase one runs from Sep-Feb and is almost the entire HNC in 6 months which is very intensive. My advice would be to start studying stuff early, do the exercises that are in the workbooks/notes and keep on top of stuff. You will get to January/February and then have about 3 exams a week for a month. If you haven't been studying regularly then these will be ten times harder. I know a lot of people who failed a number of exams then had resits on top of their other exams. Not fun. Quite a few people dropped out/got fired as a result of failing multiple exams at this point. The exam schedule is ridiculous and doesn't help matters but it is what it is. Hopefully they have changed it by now but I don't know (4 years since I was at that stage).

Phase two you got to sea between Feb-Sep. The college will give you "work based learning" you have to do when at sea. Nothing too taxing, all based on stuff you did at college in phase 1; various calculations, reports etc.

Phase three is Sep to the following May and you finish any outstanding modules from the HNC and complete the HND which is all chief mate level stuff. I found this a bit easier going than phase one because phase 3 is longer you had a lot more time to do stuff, plus you have been to sea and so have a bit of a better understanding as to how ships actually work. This is also when they teach you the theory for the 3 PD modules. Death by powerpoint.

Phase 4 runs from about May to the following March and you go back to sea and finish your seatime. The work you have to do at sea this time is all based on your 3 PD modules. You have to do a project/report on each of the 3 modules related to something on board. So you might do a passage plan for project management, mooring operations for communication, a fire drill for decision making, whatever. They will give you examples before you go away. Each of my projects were in excess of 5000 words. Sounds a lot but once you related it all back to the theory they teach you at college its actually not that bad. Some peoples were longer, some got away with a lot less. As long as you cover everything that's required you'll be fine, theres not a recommended word count or anything.

Phase 5 is March-Juneish. Some final short courses, orals prep, orals. Then you drink a lot of alcohol.

As for your other questions: Uniform wise they are quite lax at Glasgow. Depends on what company you are with how your uniform will be provided. Mine gave me some stuff then I got an allowance to buy the rest. No-one wore epaulettes at college so I wouldn't worry about that. A nato jumper was provided for me but I usually didn't bother and just wore my shirt. By phase 3 if I was cold I just wore my own black jumper over the top of my pilot shirt (as did about half the college). Not uniform but no-one cares.

Generally phase ones are required to stay in halls especially if you are under 18 but I would check that out with your company/the college. If you haven't booked it by now and they haven't booked it on your behalf then there might not be any spaces left. I would recommend you stay in halls anyway as it is much more social and easier to make friends that way (good if you have difficulty getting to know people) and it is good for group study sessions etc.

Any other questions give me a shout but I think that pretty much covers it.

8. The following user says Thank You to EH75 for this useful post:

10thGenDoctor (18th August 2014)

Aspiring Deck Cadet
    Thanks
    Cheers for the course description, it will help tremendously throughout my training, knowing what the future holds. I have taken the advice of many, and decided to stay in the halls, or at least apply, as you said they might be full. I feel more confident with the course now and thanks for the uniform tip.

Cheers

Deck Officer (CoC: Chief Mate)
    Thanks
    No problem, they may have changed the course structure slightly (we complained about several aspects of it, particularly exam scheduling and the scheduling of some of the short courses, so hopefully they have taken that on board) but I would imagine it will still broadly follow that structure.

11. The following user says Thank You to EH75 for this useful post:

10thGenDoctor (19th August 2014)

Deck Officer (CoC: OOW)
    Thanks
    We were told the exam scheduling in first phase was intentional which seems nuts to me. Especially on one day we had an exam in morning had to miss lunch to go for vaccinations the back to college for another exam.

I have applied to clyde for the deck officer training course but i dont actually know if I am doing the HNC/HND or the professional diploma... At first I assumed everyone did the same.

Engine Cadet
    Thanks

Shinysides, if you only completed school to standard grade level then you can only undergo the HNC/ND, if you have 120 ucas points which basically works out at 2 highers at B level then you are eligible for the PD.
    Phase 4 SPD engine cadet at city of Glasgow college. Doing a a combined motor and steam ticket.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast