Any Ex-RN willing to spin some dits, or any dits really!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • REA SM
    • November 2013

I have contacted 'the company', and offered a work attachment. They have said they don't do this type of thing.....yet. I have been asked to hang fire as it is now apparently high up in the company management as they investigate.

I am quite worried about the time line though. Along side in Southampton is no bother, hotels and expenses paid if military accom is unavailable, but a foreign placement is a little harder (say if the liner was out and about). The RN needs 8 weeks to say yes or no to you going and they will only pay expenses to your point of exit out the UK.

My final date for any work attachment is March next year, after that, I'm on terminal leave and a month later....I'm out! I'm just worried they may take their time...........April 7th I need a job!!!!

Comment

• REA SM
      • November 2013

Ohh and Chris, I can't reply to your PM...you need to ditch some old stuff, you've run out of space!!

Comment

• chris
        • June 2010

no way, didn't realise I was so popular.
        Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

• REA SM
          • November 2013

This waiting is killing me!!

I have had my CV reviewed and the feedback I am getting is, I am more than competent with bridge/ communications equipment, but I lack the electrical generation and switchboard experience. This leads to the prospect of entering as a 3ETO when my experience in the other fields would easily cover me for 1ETO (I applied for 2ETO because I do not have the understanding of the company rules/ regs and politics). I really can't justify starting as a 3ETO as the wages would kill me (I do have a house, wife and kids to support!)

I have offered myself (but not in that way!) to the Naval 'Heavy L' section in the dockyard to gain more experience in that area, but they are not busy and have no jobs on. They have said, if any jobs come in, they will be on the phone. I still have my resettlement grants available and have been searching for courses that may aid me in this area (I have covered the theory before with my HND but lack hands on). One of the 2ETO's in the company has advised me to do a course he did many years ago up in South Shields but they don't run it anymore. Does anyone have any knowledge of any specific courses I could do? I have looked at both the South Shields Maritime College and the one in Southampton but am really lost with what would be relevant for me!!

Any advise would be greatly apprehiated!

I am also very green when it comes to employment in civilian street and have my sights set on being employed and in wages when I leave the RN by mid April. How long did it take HR/ Interviews and the likes before a definite job offer was given to you with your current employment? When I spoke to 'this companys' HR lady, and tried to explain, if they don't have an opening for me by April, I will have to look at other opportunities because we all need money to live, her reply was "We advise people to take employment while they are waiting".......if I get a job else where and really enjoy it, I'm not going to leave!!

Andy

Comment

• Steve
            • March 2010

Originally posted by REA SM View Post
            One of the 2ETO's in the company has advised me to do a course he did many years ago up in South Shields but they don't run it anymore. Does anyone have any knowledge of any specific courses I could do? I have looked at both the South Shields Maritime College and the one in Southampton but am really lost with what would be relevant for me!
            This may just add to your confusion, but I know MoD send people on courses here: https://www.faradaycentre.co.uk/marine-courses/

Comment

• REA SM
              • November 2013

Thankyou Steve, I'm looking now!!!

Comment

• chris
                • June 2010

Just rereading your original post I reckon that with your comms and military background you'd be much better off looking at super yacht ETO jobs. The work seems to be all about keeping the vsat connection going and making sure the billionaires children can use their ipod etc. The military training is seen as a bonus. Super yacht money is much better than cruise ships too.
                Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

• REA SM
                  • November 2013

Super Yacht's is also an option Chris! I didn't think of it that way.................we lose the 'happy mast' on a boat (a submarine ruggedised inmarsat system) and all hell breaks loose because we lose e-mails!! We can only use it at periscope depth and on the surface though!!

Comment

• chris
                    • June 2010

I know of ex RFA systems engineers (ETOs) who have moved onto the super yachts and the military background is a big plus.

Slightly off topic, but do submarines actually use ELF and VLF as seen in the film Crimson Tide? Or maybe thats top secret.

Comment

• REA SM
                      • November 2013

They do use VLF/LF and all the other bands unto EHF (talking comms here)! The unique properties of VLF/LF mean the RF wave penetrates salt water upto certain depths, this means you can goto that depth and receive in coming traffic/ communications without having to surface the boat, remaining covert!

I have booked myself on a course in South Shields to try and improve on my shortcoming in the heavy 'L'. Cost an arm and a leg ontop of my resettlement grant but it will be worth it!

Andy

Comment

• chris
                        • June 2010

Shields do pretty well at electrical short courses, I reckon it will be money well spent.

Comment

Working...
                        X