Liverpool John Moores University

Deck Cadet
    Thanks

Liverpool John Moores University

I've been researching about the Nautical Science BSc (hons) and i like the way it looks there also its relatively local to me so i can get buses everyday. The question is do you need a sponsorship for liverpool or do you pay like every other university , if you have a sponsorship which companies do i aim for , for Liverpool John Moores ,
    Cheers

Deck Officer (CoC: Master)
    Thanks
    For the FdSc course you need to apply through company.

If your talkin about the BSC in Maritime studies do you meet the entry requirements for that course?

From reading their prospectus you don't appear to need sponsorship for the BSC as I believe you can do the course without time at sea - however there is no coc at end of it. If your wanting your coc you will need to get sponsored to guarantee you sea time.

Speak to the university they will tell you.

Deck Cadet
    Thanks
    Yerhh im planning on getting more than the entry requirmeents there = Hard work ahahaha but i dont get what it means im just looking at it as my last resort after my alevels if i do it but i think you get in the university then sign up for a company which allow cadets on there ship for work experience e.g Adaira cruises

Deck Officer (CoC: Master)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by linnez View Post
    Yerhh im planning on getting more than the entry requirmeents there = Hard work ahahaha but i dont get what it means im just looking at it as my last resort after my alevels if i do it but i think you get in the university then sign up for a company which allow cadets on there ship for work experience e.g Adaira cruises
    I know a few people who have done the BSc route at other universities... All of them have been sponsored from the start by a company who have paid all or part of their tuition costs. They have also gone to sea during the "summer holidays" from university as well as a full year at the end of the course. While I do not know about this course at John Moores - be aware that unless you are following an MNTB approved route, you will be required to obtain 18 months sea time - I am not sure if this course would require you to have 18 months, or if you get away with 12 months as with the HND / FdSc routes - something you would have to ask / find out.

Also bare in mind that a life at sea is not something for everyone - and regardless of how keen and much you may want it now, until you're actually onboard your first ship you don't know if its for you or not... I have seen plenty of people join who I thought would be great who have subsequently resigned after a few weeks having decided its not for them... Spending 3 years studying (ok you obtain your BSc at least) to then discover a few weeks into year 4 that a life at sea is not for you is something you really need to think about before deciding upon this route.

Also, before you can set foot on a ship you have to complete some basic STCW training courses - these are included as part of the cadet ship - but will you have to fund these yourself on this route? Also before you can obtain your CoC you have to complete another bunch of STCW courses, are they included? They will probably also result in you having to goto another college for the STCW courses - we had a few from Plymouth attending the STCW courses at WMA when I was there as a cadet.

I'm not trying to put you off it, but these are all things you should look into and find out the answers too before choosing this route.

I will however point out, if its a full degree you want, if you complete the FdDg course at Warsash, on completion of the cadetship you have the option of turning it into a full BSc. This involves completing a further 4-6 months of study at WMA and then a dissertation which you can do while you are on ship. On completion you will be awarded a BSc (Hons) from Southampton Solent University. Even if your cadetship sponsor will not pay for the "top-up" it would be a substantial saving over the cost of having to pay for the full BSc yourself and also has the benefit that you will complete the normal FdDg cadetship and get paid! Note: Other colleges also have a top up option, but it varies by college - you will need to check with each one individually. Also the above was the situation when I completed the cadetship, it may have changed slightly since then.

Deck Officer (CoC: OOW)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by linnez View Post
    I've been researching about the Nautical Science BSc (hons) and i like the way it looks there also its relatively local to me so i can get buses everyday. The question is do you need a sponsorship for liverpool or do you pay like every other university , if you have a sponsorship which companies do i aim for , for Liverpool John Moores ,
    Cheers
    You do need a sponsor to study at LJMU.

As far as I am aware the only company that sponsor cadets here is the Conway Merchant Navy Trust.

All the tuition fees will be paid together with a 'training allowance' and travel to/from university.

I am a Conway cadet in my second year at John Moores so feel free to ask any questions about the course etc.

The course is MNTB approved which means that the first 3 years follow a similar pattern to the nautical colleges.

6. The following user says Thank You to RJB128 for this useful post:

alistairuk (6th October 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by alistairuk View Post
    For the FdSc course you need to apply through company.

If your talkin about the BSC in Maritime studies do you meet the entry requirements for that course?

From reading their prospectus you don't appear to need sponsorship for the BSC as I believe you can do the course without time at sea - however there is no coc at end of it. If your wanting your coc you will need to get sponsored to guarantee you sea time.

Speak to the university they will tell you.
    When I applied, the year before last, then I had an offer conditional on my being able to find a provider of sea time (not necessarily a sponsor).