A reminder about the dangers of mooring ropes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Deck Officer (CoC: Chief Mate)
    Thanks

Exclamation A reminder about the dangers of mooring ropes

As the title says, another reminder about the dangers of mooring / unmooring a ship!

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2013/03/articles/maritime-death/death-on-ncls-norwegian-jade/
    According to a news account in Greece, a 25 year old Filipino crew member aboard the Norwegian Jade died when the cruise ship was in Katakolo, Greece.

In addition to the skimpy information contained in the newspaper, we learned that the incident occurred early this morning when cruise passengers were preparing to disembark for sightseeing ashore (including visiting the ruins of Olympia).

A mooring line snapped while the crew member was standing on a mooring deck platform (at the level of deck 7). The crew member was violently struck by the recoiling rope. He was knocked overboard and into the water at the port. According to the news account, divers took several hours to retrieve the dead man's body in the murky water.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2013/03...orwegian-jade/
    Last edited by alistairuk; 9th March 2013 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Add the URL
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

– Mark Twain
    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube

Electro-Technical Officer
    Thanks
    Snap back zone?

Deck Officer (CoC: OOW)
    Thanks
    Complacency maybe, urge to get moored up quickly leading to crew members taking short cuts, unaware of the snap back zones, unaware of the snap back zones when running lines around an old man, poor training, poor supervision, bad communication. Take your pick. The linked news piece says the seaman wasn't even wearing a hard hat, so sounds like a poor safety culture on board. But who knows? All speculation.

Thanks
    Just to play devil's advocate, are hard hats really all that useful on the mooring deck? Apart from protecting from minor bumps, their effectiveness is perhaps a bit overstated.
    Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at christopher.doyle@officercadet.com. I'm on Twitter and LinkedIn, please feel free to follow/connect!

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieDelta View Post
    Just to play devil's advocate, are hard hats really all that useful on the mooring deck? Apart from protecting from minor bumps, their effectiveness is perhaps a bit overstated.
    I suppose it's just good routine to wear one. Although not directly related to mooring its just good practice to wear a helmet every time you go on deck. Or, at least, that's what my last company said. But they also made us wear high vis vests for mooring too!

Thanks
    I don't think a hard hat would of made a bit of difference. I doubt a bit of formed plastic could do much to stop a snapped line.

As Chris says, it's good routine practice. Also, a hard hat might not save you from a mooring line, but when heaving lines are flying about, I've been very glad of my hard hat!

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tlloyd1983 View Post
    I don't think a hard hat would of made a bit of difference. I doubt a bit of formed plastic could do much to stop a snapped line.
    True, but if the line knocks you over - the helmet could be the difference between your brains being on the deck or a bruise on your head!

Although in the case of this accident, it probably wouldn't of made a difference as the force of the line knocked them overboard.

Thanks
    I'm not saying don't wear a hard hat! Was just saying in this instance, it sounds like he was stood in the section were you can watch the lines going down, and it wouldn't of changed the outcome. Of course kids, always wear your PPE!

Electro-Technical Officer
    Thanks

Stating the obvious again, but what a massive difference between safety theory and practice. Im willing to bet they have a length SMS document too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast