Jobs in Australia/New Zealand - Page 4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Parent
    Thanks

Fab YM, but you can keep the spiders and creepy crawlies, hubby's side of the family are Aussies often seems to be conversations about spraying houses for nasties. One posts pictures of unusual snakes that he's caught, think he's some sort of qualified snake catcher.
    There are a number of his family scattered around the world all arrived in these places as one ancestor was a mariner who never came back to the UK but stayed as many did and do somewhere warmer!
    We never knew about our connection to the sea till I started researching the family tree, goes back to 1780's with the sea connections, went into aviation in the 1950's then some are now back on ships.
    One invented the voice pipe comms you get between decks, and another was involved in the lifeboat design competition in the Great Exhibition. Mine have local ship building but that stopped century or so ago. Family tree stuff is fascinating sometimes.

Deck Officer (CoC: Master)
    Thanks
    Yes we found a beautiful little female red back (black widow) on our kayak two days ago, with several silk egg sacks in one of the rod holder holes; she met her demise with boiling hot water. We also found the web of a funnel web at the bottom of the garden, and my wife woke up to find the skin of a brown snake on the verandah. The kids get some education in it in school, but generally just get on with life, running around in bare feet and playing in the garden.

Retired Radio Officer
    Thanks
    As I've mentioned before (interminably :-)) I was a 10 POM. Moved out there when I was 10 and eventually finished up in a house in East Keilor - 10 miles from Melbourne but still with a proper dunny at the bottom of the garden.

We always kept a rolled newspaper in the dunny to fend off any redbacks or funnel webs who were in there when you went to do the business. Funnel webs were quite common.

We also had a wooden handle with a weighted wire on to handle any snakes we found in the yard.
    io parlo morse

4. The following user says Thank You to endure for this useful post:

YoungMariner (11th December 2015)

Thanks
    It's funny but you get used to to seeing the wildlife and making sure you spray the house once a year!
    Pilotage - It's just a controlled allision

6. The following user says Thank You to Pilot Chris for this useful post:

YoungMariner (11th December 2015)

Deck Officer (CoC: OOW)
    Thanks
    Does anyone know if Farstad in Australia has had any redundancies? Or any other companies for that matter?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
    Does anyone know if Farstad in Australia has had any redundancies? Or any other companies for that matter?
    I'm not sure if Farstad has had any redundancies, but all the casuals have been let go. Maersk Supply Service and Tidewater have had quite a lot of redundancies, the industry is going through a rough patch here, but seems slightly more sheltered then elsewhere in the world. Although the government persists with its attempts to destroy seafaring...

Thanks
    I haven't posted for a while, I have still been trying to get a job down in Australia but no luck so far I have had a few people say that they will keep my CV on record if things improve, but the situation is not great down there, to add to this I also have a residents visa sub class 189, which is just slowly expiring. My last company seemed intent on cutting salaries and I am now working down in Brazil, and my new employer unfortunately won't allow me to change my home airport, which best case scenario is 30 hours flying very 5 weeks. On the plus side I still have a job and if my sea time keeps coming in I should be able to sit my Masters at the end of the year, hopefully making it more likely I will get a job as Pilot Chris has stated.

Thanks
    Good Day all,
    Just a bit of an Update from the last post, I have still been trying to get back to Australia, albeit unsuccessfully, after gaining my Masters at the end of Last year. However, I did at least get a response from Maersk Supply Services in that they have agreed to put my CV in the crew pool. Things across the whole industry appear to be very slowly moving again but I am still waiting to return, and there are various projects starting up but, I would think that Priority will go to a lot of Australian resident Seafarers who have been out of work during the Downturn.

Deck Officer (CoC: Chief Mate)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pash87 View Post
    Good Day all,
    Just a bit of an Update from the last post, I have still been trying to get back to Australia, albeit unsuccessfully, after gaining my Masters at the end of Last year. However, I did at least get a response from Maersk Supply Services in that they have agreed to put my CV in the crew pool. Things across the whole industry appear to be very slowly moving again but I am still waiting to return, and there are various projects starting up but, I would think that Priority will go to a lot of Australian resident Seafarers who have been out of work during the Downturn.
    Do you have an Australian visa or residency? There is lots of work in Australia right now if you have the correct visa and DP time.

Thanks

It is starting to pick up again, definitely signs of that and closing the door to seafarers visas has helped. Drop me a PM if you want to know more .

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234