X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lewis
    • December 2010

Plimsol mark

Just wondering as your load line shows your arithmetic mean draft not the true mean draft. Does that mean if you were trimmed you could load and be less than your summer displacment and submerge your summer load line? If so would it be legal to sail?
  • HolyNougat
    • February 2012

Yes. For example if you have a 5 degree stbd list then your loadline may be submerged on the stbd side, but well clear on the port side. Its the actual mean draft is the issue.
    Cruise ship Captain with experience on-board Passenger Vessels ranging from 5500-150000 GRT.

Comment

• Randomist
      • April 2010

As HN says you're concerned with your actual mean draft which takes into account any list you may have. (Stop me if I'm wrong HN lol).

Anyway, it's therefore possible that you can be trimmed to starboard or port and submerge your line on that side and still be 'legal.'

To boldly go.....
      Forum Administrator
      OfficerCadet.com

Comment

• size4riggerboots
        • March 2010

However, if seen going out of port with your line under water be prepared to have questions asked! (There really is no need to sail with a list).

I have known ships to ballast themselves to get a list that lifts the harbor facing plimsol line out of the water as we went out...

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

• Hatchorder
          OC's Resident CV Guru
          • May 2012

Originally posted by size4riggerboots View Post
          I have known ships to ballast themselves to get a list that lifts the harbor facing plimsol line out of the water as we went out...
          I was a cadet on a ship that did that once! I can also remember that Ocean worked out that one class of ship could carry more cargo if it carried a deck cargo of timber between the derrick islands on a combi ship, so all sorts of people came on board, welded on lashing brackets etc. and we went for a change to the Loadlines with Lloyds and it turned out our Foc'sle head was 10cm too short or something and so it was refused. After much argument it was agreed, the relevant lines were welded onto the side of the ship and painted on - and the ship never carried a timber deck cargo afterwards! Waste of money or what?
          However that was nothing compared to the bollox that was dropped with the Nestor and Gastor. How to blow 120 million quid plus interest between the 2 companies and lose hundreds, if not thousands of jobs later!The management should have been keelhauled for that one alone. Muppets!

No wonder Blue Funnel and Elder Dempsters disappeared!
          "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.
          "Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Comment

• size4riggerboots
            • March 2010

I never said it was a good idea!

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

Comment

• Lewis
              • December 2010

was talking more about trim than list. As the ship trims at it's LCF not midships where the loadline markings are. If that makes any sense. So it would be submerged on both port and starboard.

Comment

• Randomist
                • April 2010

I believe a correction is also applied for trimming of the vessel. I know our system takes it into account. Although you'd have to have a pretty hefty trim to submerge the lines I would have thought.

To boldly go.....
                Forum Administrator
                OfficerCadet.com

Comment

• HolyNougat
                  • February 2012

Hmm. While the ship does trim around LCF the odds of it being so far from the marks as to make much of a difference to the Plimsol mark is pretty unlikely (in the real world) - however, there may be cases with some ships where this is a factor... but not any of the ships I have worked on.
                  The Plimsol was always intended as a 'quick check' of if a ship was overloaded - you could always prove it one way or another using more detailed checks.
                  Cruise ship Captain with experience on-board Passenger Vessels ranging from 5500-150000 GRT.

Comment

• Clanky
                    • January 2011

I think the answer would be no.

As I understand all this deckie type stuff, the load line is assigned using a minimum freeboard rather than a maximum draught which means that the midships draught (freeboard) is the one which counts.

Deckies please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
                    Go out, do stuff

Comment

• Clanky
                      • January 2011

I was sailed on a class of ro-ro where the MCA interpreted the rules slightly differently than the Italian builders and assigned a completely different load line than the original design meaning that we had to turn away cargo to sail with the required freeboard, when the MCA surveyor used to come onboard and comment that he hadn't quite seen all of the loadline marks we used to assure him that this was purely due to our list. He also used to wonder why the log only ever showed a record of us turning away cargo when he was onboard!
                      Go out, do stuff

Comment

• Steve
                        • March 2010

3) A ship shall not be so loaded that

(a)if the ship is in salt water and has no list the appropriate load line on each side of the ship is submerged; or

(b)in any other case, the appropriate load line on each side of the ship would be submerged if the ship were in salt water and had no list.

Comment

Working...
                        X