Engineer Recommendations - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Engineer Officer (CoC: Second)
    Thanks

The other marine engineering series ones are pretty good too.

Diesel Engines, A.J. Wharton & General Engineering Knowledge, another H D McGeorge book.

In that series they also have steam boilers book and a instrument and control book that I know of.
    Imarest also have some other advanced books for different diesel engines.

Mentioned previously by Clanky was http://marinediesels.info/, Rollo Tompkins website, he also has a set of books, but these are more suited to 2nd and Chiefs exams. Some of his Q&A answers are taken from the books mentioned above.

A lot of these you can get on Kindle now too.

Engineer Officer (CoC: Second)
    Thanks
    You don't need to spend a fortune buying LED torches, best to go look in camping shops, they usually have good ones for very cheap.

I used to buy LED Lensers for a fortune, and they kept breaking on me, excluding the amazing head torch of theirs. But I spend 15 and got a torch as good as their 40 ones. And as a cadet you don't need anything that flash, you can get good ones for a couple of pounds!

Only example:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/FordEx-Group...ords=LED+Torch

Engine Cadet
    Thanks
    This is a great list re books, thanks!

My boss has just given me a load of new kit to keep off our last job (maybe a week old tops). two bacho shifters(8" & 12"), comfy tan safety boots, ear defenders (Peltor Optime III), a couple of pairs of knee pad inserts (haven't gotten a company boiler suit so not sure if they'll fit) and an iPad among other things. Can I use this as a cadet or do I need to use the company issue stuff?

Engineer Officer (CoC: Chief)
    Thanks
    Let me know if you get issued a company ipad, so I can send my application in

The ppe will be useful and as a cadet...... Free stuff
    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Engine Cadet
    Thanks
    Haha that'll be coming with me regardless! Portable movies and pdfs for fault finding! I figured I could use the company issue stuff as spares or for crappy jobs

Does anyone know if Fleetwood provide any of the above recommended books? Just double checking before purchasing for son starting FD engineering in a couple of weeks . Thanks

Engineer Officer (CoC: Chief)
    Thanks
    No one provides them, they will have them in the library
    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

8. The following user says Thank You to Chiefy for this useful post:

Ma Goose (24th August 2015)

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefy View Post
    No one provides them, they will have them in the library
    Thanks Chiefy - was thinking as a starter pack to get 2 of the HD McGeorge books - the general engineering knowledge ( though third edition is 1991 - is it still current?) and the marine Auxilliary machinery one, and the DA Taylor Introduction to Marine Engineering. Is that a reasonable starter combo or would you add or replace any of these? Thanks

Engineer Officer (CoC: EOOW)
    Thanks

This thread has been dead for a while but I just wana recommend Olight torches. https://olightworld.com/store/flashlight.html They are small, bright and the magnet in the tail is super useful in the engine room! I have used one of the older Baton models through 4 contracts now and it shows no sign of failing even after a couple of oil baths and various falls.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123