Engineer Recommendations - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Engineer Officer (CoC: Chief)
    Thanks

www.marinediesels.info

This site is fantastic for both cadets and for those studying for higher certificates.

There is a free section which is pitched at about the right level for cadets and a members section with past paper questions and worked answers for seconds and chiefs motor EK's

I wouldn't recommend that cadets pay for the members section, as that part of the site is aimed at a much higher level than you need, but the free section is very good and for anyone doing higher certificates of competency the members section is well worth the money.

Thanks
    Ear defenders should be company supply

Engine Cadet
    Thanks
    http://www.marineengineering.org.uk/

Is another essential source that we had on a local drive onboard!
    Engine Cadet | Phase 5 @ Warsash Maritime Academy

Thanks
    Bump, can a mod / admin please stick this thread?
    Go out, do stuff

Deck Officer (CoC: Chief Mate)
    Thanks
    Done!

Size4riggerboots

Blog tWitterings Flickr Tumblr Faceache

6. The following user says Thank You to size4riggerboots for this useful post:

Clanky (14th March 2013)

Aspiring Engine Cadet
    Thanks
    Does the curriculum for engine cadet cover any aspects specific to electrical engineering?

Engineer Officer (CoC: EOOW)
    Thanks
    Hello there, I am currently around half way through my 3rd Phase at College in Glasgow studying on the Professional Diploma route (Foundation degree in England)

In phase 1 the only electrical based subject we did was Single Phase electrics

However in Phase 3 we are covering Electrical Machine Principles which is mainly about different types of motors, 3 Phase electrics, Marine Electrical engineering which is mainly about safety etc, Controllers & Transducers and Electrical Motor drive systems.

Phase 3 covers a lot of electrical engineering and in actual fact I could obtain an HNC in electrical engineering if I wished by doing only about 3 more courses and sitting the graded unit, however I don't really have the time to combine this with my study.

Any other questions about subjects covered then ask away, more than happy to help
    Newly qualified Officer #ClubMember

Thanks
    The cadet syllabus and indeed the second and chief engineer syllabi (sp?) cover electrical engineering in some depth. Many ships don't carry leckies and the engineers deal with electrical problems.

Engine Cadet
    Thanks
    Can't speak for elsewhere but at STC in phase 1 & 3 you also do electrical workshop to fill in the (gaping) holes left by the theory part of the electrics.

Thanks

Some good recommendations from DosedMonkey here.

Quote Originally Posted by Dosedmonkey View Post
    Depends what you are interested in,

Theres a good practical engineering one, I saw one copy of it in the shields library other week, Imarest N.E. Chell book; Operation and Maintenance of Machinery on Motorships.

A good overall basic marine mechanical/equipment introduction book there is D.A. Taylor, Introduction to Marine Engineering. This is in the library.

If your looking for something more ETO related, I'm sure Chris can recommend you something.
    Depends how much you understand already though, basic electrical books go there are two main marine ones,
    - Marine Electrical Equipment and Practice, H.D. McGeorge

- Practical Marine Electrical Knowledge, D.T. Hall (This is in the library)
    Go out, do stuff

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast