Clyde Marine

Thread: Clyde Marine

Aspiring Deck Cadet
    Thanks

Clyde Marine

Been seeing a lot of very mixed opinions on Clyde Marine as a company in terms of shipping company choice, pay and overall help for the cadets etc. As someone looking to go down the cruise route if possible, would Clyde be a viable option at all?? (I have also applied to Princess/Carnival, but Clyde is first response I have back).
    And if not would anyone have any suggestions on the best area to seek sponsorship in order to get experience on a cruise vessel (I'm aware theres high demand). Thanks

Deck Officer (CoC: OOW)
    Thanks
    Other than the big cruise companies (always best bet as more likely to get employment if you're not a duffer), try MEF/Chiltern first as they are part of Viking, then SSTG, specify cruise from the outset. Clyde would be your last resort if you especially want cruise.
    Superyacht OOW
    SSTG Cadet 2015-2017
    Ex Royal Navy Navigator.

Deck Cadet
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
    Other than the big cruise companies (always best bet as more likely to get employment if you're not a duffer), try MEF/Chiltern first as they are part of Viking, then SSTG, specify cruise from the outset. Clyde would be your last resort if you especially want cruise.
    SSTG have next to no cruise companies available for deck, there might be one place left on engine! not completely sure.

Engine Cadet
    Thanks
    Have you tried Viking recruitment as I believe they take on cadets for companies such as Fred Olsen and a few others. I'd also apply to chiltern marine as they recruit cadets now for MSC cruises. SSTG some times place cadets with either saga cruises or Thomson
    Phase 4 SPD engine cadet at city of Glasgow college. Doing a a combined motor and steam ticket.

Deck Cadet
    Thanks
    Chiltern have no MSC places
    SSTG have no saga or Thomson places
    Every place seems to go so early.

Aspiring Deck Cadet
    Thanks
    @AdamG How recently did you find out that Chiltern had no more places for cadets with MSC for the coming year? Just wondering as somebody I know was offered a cadetship with MSC through Chiltern Maritime just over a week ago, however I am aware that not many people do get offered MSC

Deck Cadet
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eleanormay View Post
    @AdamG How recently did you find out that Chiltern had no more places for cadets with MSC for the coming year? Just wondering as somebody I know was offered a cadetship with MSC through Chiltern Maritime just over a week ago, however I am aware that not many people do get offered MSC
    Had the phone interview a month ago where I was told placements for the 6 cadets taken on by MSC were already taken! Haven't been I contact since, luckily received an offer with TUI!

Engine Cadet
    Thanks

I would avoid Clyde Marine at all costs, They are a company set up to benefit the smaller companies in giving them tax relief in exchange for cadets. The cadets I've spoken with who've been with Clyde have said the pay is the worst out of all companies, The organisation and communication is horrific not to mention the time away support. I would strongly advise you avoid them for your own development. I've heard Chiltern Maritime and Anglo Eastern are along the best in terms of pay and support which is ideally what you need.

9. The following user says Thank You to DeuceSeven for this useful post:

Floyd1 (1 Day Ago)