Where is the industry going?

Where is the industry going?

With the sale of diesel and petrol cars to be banned by 2040 and diesel-only trains set to be phased out (supposedly) by the same year, in a bid by the government to reduce pollution in the transport sector, where do you see shipping in 20-odd years? Both in terms of demand decreasing for oil etc. and what we actually use to power vessels.

Cars - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40723581
    Trains (paywall) - https://www.ft.com/content/026e3bc6-...e-08320fc2a277

Aspiring Deck Cadet
    Thanks
    Great question!

I've heard that LNG/Battery power is possibly going to be the way forward in the engine room, and with increasing automation of ships, leading to less crew both deck/engine departments. Though in the cruise industry I think they will keep the manning levels the way they are, to maintain safety margins and confidence among passengers.

Batteries are a nice idea but I dread to think how much it would cost. Lithium is expensive, as is building new mines at a rate that would sustain a mass switch to electric cars and the development of technology for an industry as big as shipping. Therefore I don’t think batteries are economically sustainable in a short/medium time frame.

LNG is equally as interesting. Without beginning to waffle on, I think LNG balances the economic and environmental benefits much better than batteries and this is more likely a solution to the pollution question.

Would be very keen to hear what others have to say!

Deck Officer (CoC: Chief Mate)
    Thanks
    I had a chat with my current Captain and C/E about this not too long ago and the general consensus is that LNG is the way weíll be going. Apparently CMA CGM is going to be leading the container industry on this one. The main limiting factor at the moment is that apparently there arenít enough LNG bunker stations yet though I know Algeciras is planning on building one soon and Iím sure others will follow.

Itíll be a very different industry in 20 years, no doubt. Less oil tankers but then probably more wind farms which will boost the offshore sector, then thereís automation which will probably be having a significant effect on shipping by then. Interesting times lie ahead.

Deck Officer (CoC: Master)
    Thanks

Saw my first rotor ship recently using magnus effect to reduce fuel consumption; https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/pho...60329/#forward

The greatest challenge to electric ships is the ability to store and charge efficiently. Most ships are built as simply and as basic as possible, built to the very minimum standards set by the IMO. The average new builds just look like clones, nothing special about any of them.

Automation, advancement and alternative fuels will only come when it has a cost benefit or is mandated.