HNC Vs HND when it comes to chief mates

Deck Cadet
    Thanks

HNC Vs HND when it comes to chief mates

Hi,

I've been searching the web and the different college websites looking at the course lengths for future Chief Mates courses when it comes round to it. I'm currently part way through my cadet ship on the HNC route. There are lots of different courses listed on the Warsash and Fleetwood website so I was hoping somebody may be able to clarify some stuff for me.

Would I be correct in saying:

HND topup is 26 weeks long and is to be completed directly after qualifying as an OOW.
    https://fleetwoodnautical.blackpool....course/mh1he32

If you then complete your HND, it'll then be another 25 weeks for your chief mates.
    https://fleetwoodnautical.blackpool....ourse/mx1ec240

If you don't complete your HND and go straight to chief mates from HNC level, it'll take 52 weeks which will include your HND and then your chief mates?
    https://fleetwoodnautical.blackpool....course/mh1he01

Is this correct?
    Is this the only difference between the courses?

Thanks.

Engineer Officer (CoC: EOOW)
    Thanks
    The guys I know who went from HNC to Chief Mates recently were only away from work for around 3-4 months, so I'd say 52 weeks isn't correct. As for an exact answer, I'm not sure.

3. The following user says Thank You to agibbs98 for this useful post:

Sega (4 Days Ago)

Deck Cadet
    Thanks
    Sega, that's how I understand it too. The HNC jump to Chief Mate was always three terms at college (effectively a year). The other option might be what's now called a 'blended learning' Mates course, i.e. you do some of the HND academic study at sea, thus reducing college time to two terms. Colleges are starting to introduce these to get round visa restrictions for foreign students.

5. The following user says Thank You to Maritimer for this useful post:

Sega (4 Days Ago)

Engineer Officer (CoC: EOOW)
    Thanks
    Having spoke to a colleague who has just done it he advises with a HNC the entire course length at Shields can be as little as 3 months to Chief Officer CoC, this includes the academic subjects and oral prep. Some colleges offer longer courses which aim to prepare you more and increase your chances of success, and as mentioned some allow you to distance learn the academics, minimising college time.

7. The following user says Thank You to agibbs98 for this useful post:

Sega (4 Days Ago)

Deck Officer (CoC: Chief Mate)
    Thanks

If you have an HNC then the mates course is a full academic year.

If you have an HND the mates course is one term (i.e. about three and a half months).

If you have a FD the mates course is usually 4-6 weeks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at christopher.doyle@officercadet.com. I'm on Twitter and LinkedIn, please feel free to follow/connect!

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

9. The following 2 users say Thank You to CharlieDelta for this useful post:

750XL (4 Days Ago),Sega (4 Days Ago)