Working life style - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Aspiring Deck Cadet
    Thanks

The problem is that i have only about 16 hours experience at sea, both my parents are doctors and convincing someone that i really want to join the merchant navy as a deck cadet, looks difficult atm. So i want to show them that i know what i am signing up for and am actually keen for a life at sea. Also what do officers mean when they talk about shifting to day working whilst at port

Quote Originally Posted by MuhammadTamimy View Post
    The problem is that i have only about 16 hours experience at sea, both my parents are doctors and convincing someone that i really want to join the merchant navy as a deck cadet, looks difficult atm. So i want to show them that i know what i am signing up for and am actually keen for a life at sea. Also what do officers mean when they talk about shifting to day working whilst at port
    Like mentioned earlier in the thread, that they shift to an 0800-1700 work pattern when this ship is in port.
    27//Officer Cadet//Phase Three//Warsash

My officer cadet blog - SeasboundBySummer.Tumblr.com

Engineer Officer (CoC: Chief)
    Thanks

As a rule of thumb......
    At sea 3 watches running 4 on 8 off. .....12-4, 4-8, 8-12 rinse and repeat forever........
    Now ships need to come to town at this point things get complicated, but generally, you will do mooring stations (park the boat) no matter what time of day, once parked and cargo watches being thing change for a 3rd time (usually)
    The 2 junior watch keepers may go 6-6 on-off OR you might all go day work and have a night watch officer who may or may not be required to be awake, at the very least they will be first contact should anything need doing. Day work is 8-17, ish.

Now on top of all that you will have to do extra hours to carry out other odds and ends of duty, maintenance on fire fighting gear, lifeboats etc.....but over ridding all of this are the Hours Of Rest regulations and STCW10, but fret not all this becomes clear as you get going.

Now as you are 16 it's obvious you're concerned and worried about making good impression etc, however, chill out, the recruiters know what they are doing and what they are looking for, some knowledge is useful, but like driving a car it's often better to start from nothing than correct bad habits and bad previous learning. Of more import is your enthusiasm general knowledge that this is not a 9-5 job or industry, it has its moment of blind terror and panic and considerably more moment of dull dull dull ....in fact dull is good, it means **** isn't falling down round your ears, you will come to appreciate periods of dullness (thigh not to often)

Watch some discovery channel mighty ships, and cruise thingy on it, they aren't real but they'll do to start from, hunt out the itv series about life at sea.....made by Scottish tv, there's cadets on there. Even that Dover series just on while I was on leave this time isn't aweful.

Be interested, be keen by all means but be confident and show you realise this is a lifestyle not "just a job"(tm), meanwhile please please please make use of our very expensive to run search function and highly informative articles, just about everything is covered, then also come ask questions cos some info has changed over the years. You'll be fine, honest.......as my signature says , trust me I'm a Chief
    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

4. The following 2 users say Thank You to Chiefy for this useful post:

agibbs98 (1 Week Ago),riker (1 Week Ago)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12