Generator fire

Thread: Generator fire

Engine Cadet

Generator fire

If there was a generator on fire would you
    a) stop engine immediately blacking out the ship then start other generator.
    b) start other generator bring on load then stop the other.

Engineer Officer (CoC: EOOW)
    Depends how bad the fire is... if I have an inferno roaring because of a huge diesel leak then I'd black the ship out by hitting the quick closing valves. Our emergency generator is tested and timed frequently for how quickly it comes onto the ESB, and we have confidence in it. It would mean propulsion loss for my vessel though; which I'd have to bear in mind if we were in a busy channel or manoevering.

If it was say a small fire on the lagging as a result of oil soak then I'd probably HIFOG it to stop spread and work in the fog to start up another generator.

You always have to think which is more dangerous: a black out/loss of propulsion or a fire in a contained space.

3. The following user says Thank You to agibbs98 for this useful post:

chris (22nd December 2017)

Engineer Officer (CoC: Second)
    Short answer, it depends, I donít think there is a right or wrong answer, unless it is written somewhere conclusively in a standing order or SMS..

Open sea underway i would absolutely black the ship out.

Critical maneuvering you would have to use your judgement.

Recently on a sea trail I was walking round with the vibrations contractor pre-shaft pulling taking measurements. Smelled a strong smell of diesel, turned around and saw diesel spraying up onto the exhaust. The other DG was running and had been on the board as I left the ecr, so i emergency stopped the vent, but the chief had just taken the other dg off the board. - blackout. That said I would have done the same anyway, blackout is much easier to recover from than a fire.

Engineer Officer (CoC: Chief)

Kill the fire, no ifs or buts, kill and kill it fast.

Most modern ships recover very quickly from blackout, however the PMS should be able to cope. The longer you leave a fire the worse it gets, even hitting the emergency stop or quick closing valves is not instant the PMS will see and sense there are problems and either throw the preferentials and or be already staring a machine as it senses the frequency and voltage issues.

Obvs this is not always the case, but you need to stop the fire. If you are in confined waters then in theory you already have 1 more machine running than needed .......or at least enough spare capacity to keep essentials going (who cares if the air con and galley go off for a few minutes?) if you're deep sea then who cares there's bugger all around to hit (hopefully )

There was also some interesting numbers a few years ago, along the lines that for every minute a fire burns it adds 100k to the repair bill, the after math or a fire can have unexpected results and consequences, plus given most engine rooms are under the accom, you really really want to kill the fire asap.
    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief