• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flecktarnfisher
    • October 2017

Taking hobbies to sea

Hi all,
    Im soon to be starting my phase 1 training as an engineering cadet and I know sometimes you get a spare moment between essays/ work etc so I was wondering what sorts of hobbies would be accepted onboard in your cabin (stop those thoughts now....immature lot).

I tie flies for fishing and also play bass guitar frequently and I,m not too sure if either of these would be accepted onboard a small tanker really as tying flies uses all sorts of wonderful materials and a bass guitar isn't the smallest instrument to store out the way but you can deconstruct them if needs be. So, do any of you gentlemen have any ideas about either of these hobbies or can you give me any ideas on how to work around them etc? Before anyone says it...no I will NOT take up the ukalele😂.

Many thanks for any help you guys can give me!
  • endure
    • May 2014

Someone always had a guitar on practically every ship I ever sailed on although they weren't bass guitars.
    io parlo morse

Comment

• YoungMariner
      • April 2011

Plenty of people on ships have weird and wonderful hobbies. With regards the Guitar the only real limitation is travelling with it to and from the ship and accepting the challenges and risks involved in that. Also probably the same for your fishing fly hobby.

Comment

• EH75
        • May 2010

There is usually always someone with a guitar, just be aware of when the person in the adjacent cabin is sleeping if they are a watchkeeper!

Comment

• WeeBernard
          • August 2015

The fly thing sounds good I like to bring some models to build as a change from watching movies or if you like drawing or photography that's good as lots of things to shoot

Comment

• chris
            • June 2010

No need to worry about your neighbours if you use headphones and one of these.

I usually only use a single ear piece so I can still hear alarms with the other ear.
            Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Comment

• bw5991
              • June 2012

If you enjoy it then learning a language is always a good one, I learned enough French in my last 6 month trip to move to Quebec in Canada. Hoping to do Spanish my next trip.

Comment

• Flecktarnfisher
                • October 2017

Many thanks for your replies guys I think I shall see nearer the time if I can take a bass with me potentially but by the sound of it, it shouldn't be an issue. Nor should the fly tying.
                WeeBernard I didn't think of models to build thats a certainly a good one to remember.
                bw5991, the less said about me learning languages the better!

Comment

• YoungMariner
                  • April 2011

Originally posted by Flecktarnfisher View Post
                  Many thanks for your replies guys I think I shall see nearer the time if I can take a bass with me potentially but by the sound of it, it shouldn't be an issue. Nor should the fly tying.
                  WeeBernard I didn't think of models to build thats a certainly a good one to remember.
                  Oh and one other thing to consider when travelling is the potential for boarding/disembarking by launch, such as in the Singapore anchorage, so as long as you are confident you can both fly and travel comfortably with your gear then you should be good. I sailed with a Captain who used to wear this massive trench coat with pockets full of electronics whenever he flew so as to avoid excess baggage fees, it was quite funny to see this character arriving in Dubai sweating...

Comment

• SeaboundBySunrise
                    • January 2017

I tend to do a lot of illustration during my downtime at sea - it helps me relax and everything you need is easy to carry.

Comment

• bw5991
                      • June 2012

Originally posted by Flecktarnfisher View Post
                      You've already learned one language, a second one isn't a problem!

Comment

• edoyle12
                        • November 2017

I've been practicing turning things on a lathe, no one really seems to mind especially if I used old scrap metal. My hobbies are mostly unable to bring with me to sea but I found new hobbies

Comment

• Flecktarnfisher
                          • October 2017

Originally posted by edoyle12 View Post
                          I've been practicing turning things on a lathe, no one really seems to mind especially if I used old scrap metal. My hobbies are mostly unable to bring with me to sea but I found new hobbies
                          I hadn't thought of that one either, certainly a good skill to practice.

Comment

Working...
                          X