Clyde Marine Sponsors and V Ships

Aspiring Deck Cadet
    Thanks

Clyde Marine Sponsors and V Ships

I have been offered a sponsorship from Clyde Marine, I am interested in Bulk, Container and Cruise Liners, which of these companies are most likely to offer a job/ interview at the end of training for a uk cadet?

https://www.clydemarinetraining.com/...t/sponsorslist

I am also waiting to hear back from a V ships interview, would V ships offer a higher chance of a job at the end of it as apposed to Clyde Marine? I have heard a lot of bad things about CMT and tax tonnage that is why I am asking.

Any help would be much appreciated.

i heard the training officer at V ships is very good. Clyde your best chance if a job is normally with Northern Marine Manning. Have you tried SSTG and Chiltern yet.

Aspiring Deck Cadet
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto123 View Post
    I have been offered a sponsorship from Clyde Marine, I am interested in Bulk, Container and Cruise Liners, which of these companies are most likely to offer a job/ interview at the end of training for a uk cadet?

https://www.clydemarinetraining.com/...t/sponsorslist

I am also waiting to hear back from a V ships interview, would V ships offer a higher chance of a job at the end of it as apposed to Clyde Marine? I have heard a lot of bad things about CMT and tax tonnage that is why I am asking.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Definitely try some other companies and see what you get. Clyde are one of the lowest paying sponsor companies so after rent where ever your college is you won't have much left for daily living! Not that you ever have much left but Clyde pay one of the lowest out of them all

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Aspiring Engine Cadet
    Thanks
    Would avoid CMT at all costs.

Deck Officer (CoC: OOW)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deedub29 View Post
    Would avoid CMT at all costs.
    Any chance you could expand on why? It’s a bit unfair to just say “avoid” without backing it up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at christopher.doyle@officercadet.com. I'm on Twitter and LinkedIn, please feel free to follow/connect!

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!

Deck Officer (CoC: OOW)
    Thanks
    I also hold the sentiment for CMT to be avoided at all cost. However, I can also state the reasons why:

- The majority of companies CMT take cadets for are tonnage tax companies.
    - The chance of getting one of your three choices has historically been low.
    - Adding on from that: CMT don't tell you who your sponsor company will be until after you start your at college.
    - CMT pay one of the lowest allowances for a cadetship, and half that pay when you are at sea.
    - They will deduct money from you for 'un-explained absences' from college. Although other companies do this, if there has been an error (such as a tutor not completing the register), it is harder than it should be to get this money back.
    - CMT Cadets who have been on a ship where they are treated badly and ask to change have been threatened with having thier cadetship terminated.
    - Do not expect any help from CMT when you qualify without a job, as they tend to want nothing to do with ex-cadets.

I really could go on. However, on a positive note SSTG are meant to be good if you have to go for a training agency.

Chiltern also have a good reputation as a training company.

Deck Officer (CoC: Master)
    Thanks
    I can thoroughly recommend the SSTG. Throughout my cadetship with them and P&O Ferries I can honestly say there is not 1 thing I would have thought they could have done better. No I don't work for them or anything however I'm very grateful for the opportunities and training I received which to me was a very high and professional standard.

Deck Officer (CoC: Chief Mate)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sun Zenith View Post
    I also hold the sentiment for CMT to be avoided at all cost. However, I can also state the reasons why:

- The majority of companies CMT take cadets for are tonnage tax companies.
    - The chance of getting one of your three choices has historically been low.
    - Adding on from that: CMT don't tell you who your sponsor company will be until after you start your at college.
    - CMT pay one of the lowest allowances for a cadetship, and half that pay when you are at sea.
    - They will deduct money from you for 'un-explained absences' from college. Although other companies do this, if there has been an error (such as a tutor not completing the register), it is harder than it should be to get this money back.
    - CMT Cadets who have been on a ship where they are treated badly and ask to change have been threatened with having thier cadetship terminated.
    - Do not expect any help from CMT when you qualify without a job, as they tend to want nothing to do with ex-cadets.

I really could go on. However, on a positive note SSTG are meant to be good if you have to go for a training agency.
    I was a CMT cadet, and despite having a very good training officer, everything quoted above is true, of particular annoyance was the wages & company.

Several sponsor companies payed for the students accommodation direct and had a much higher wage on top of that significant benefit.

I was at least 6 weeks into the course before finding out my sponsor. It wasn't in one of my 3 chosen areas/companies and no I couldn't appeal it or change it so this then obviously dictates what extra courses you don't get/necessary experience.

The mistake I made was simply applying to an agency for the cadetship instead of thoroughly researching and approaching larger companies directly.

Deck Cadet
    Thanks

Avoid Clyde marine like the plague

After accommodation they're left with £40pw
    2nd mate I'm sailing with was Clyde. Forgotten about for 6 months and had to organise his own sea time.
    Won't receive any help for employment afterwards.
    Tell you to get to if you ask about sea phase even when you've supposed to have left a month ago.
    Horrible horrible company