Gamma Marine Training

Deck Officer (CoC: Chief Mate)
    Thanks

Gamma Marine Training

The City of Glasgow College have now created a college in India called Gamma Marine Training.

http://gamma-marine.com/overview/

Indians can do all their training in India and only have to come to the UK to do the exams, saves them them a lot of some in accomodation I guess.

Which begs the question why not just do their tickets in India to begin with, speaking to some Indians they say the come to the UK as it is a lot easier than back home, but I'm not sure how much truth is in it.

What do people think of this? There were a lot of angry comments about it on British seafaring facebook groups.

Deck Cadet
    Thanks
    Seems that COGCs plan is 'provide training as a service' and part of that is expanding worldwide.

It's disappointing to see adverts on LinkedIn saying "Indian/Panama/UK CoC acceptable" and then offering a salary/T&Cs that are just not realistic in the UK.

Why on earth would a recruiter hire a UK National when they could get someone from India on a quarter of the salary and for twice as long onboard? Especially when they have proof that they have been trained to exactly the same standard as verified by the MCA...

Deck Cadet
    Thanks
    I did hear that because they were only being granted 1 year study visas, they struggled to get back to sit MCA exams after the HND which doesn't seem very fair, perhaps this was designed as a solution to that?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 06njack View Post
    Why on earth would a recruiter hire a UK National when they could get someone from India on a quarter of the salary and for twice as long onboard?
    They wouldn't, that's why deep sea is almost dead to people from developed countries. The only place that still has a lot are LNG carriers and cruise ships (if they count as "deep sea").

Aspiring Deck Cadet
    Thanks

Sad but true

Quote Originally Posted by GarnetWomack View Post
    They wouldn't, that's why deep sea is almost dead to people from developed countries. The only place that still has a lot are LNG carriers and cruise ships (if they count as "deep sea").
    Sad, but in reality this is the truth, I'm Just doing my first sea phase and a few things are beginning to become clear. This is what I have noticed from my time so far at sea. If I'm wrong please feel free to correct me. From speaking to the Officers the pay and conditions are as follows for the deck departmentThird 3000Second 3900Chief 6000 (around)Captain 12000 (around)The salary for the second and third has been reduced of late and could go down again (2600). The wages for third/second are only paid for time on board. If you want to get a annual pay rate it then depends how many month you work. A contract for 5/6/7 is normal. Therefore 6 month onboard as a third mate will net you 13,500 pounds with no benefits.The Chief mate, Chief Engineer, Electrical Engineer and captain all get loyalty bonuses (few thousand dollars) and some basic at home salary (few hundred dollars per month)These are deep sea salaries. From what have gathered so far this is not about jobs or the lack of them, but pay and conditions. If you can get a job:With the government In a developed country For an oil major tanker/gas carrierWith a good cruise lineWith a good RoRo pax companySuperyachtsYou will be ok. If you plan to get a jobOn a car/bulk carrierRandom Chemical/gas/tankerPoor RoRo pax/cruiseSomeone from a less well developed country will be willing to do the job for a salary you simply can't/won't live on. The company knows this and won't even consider you for the position, they know you will just leave once you get some sea time. This basically leaves the reality that in a global industry there are only really a limited number of jobs that will allow you to live in a developed country.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobolt View Post
    Sad, but in reality this is the truth, I'm Just doing my first sea phase and a few things are beginning to become clear. This is what I have noticed from my time so far at sea. If I'm wrong please feel free to correct me. From speaking to the Officers the pay and conditions are as follows for the deck departmentThird 3000Second 3900Chief 6000 (around)Captain 12000 (around)The salary for the second and third has been reduced of late and could go down again (2600). The wages for third/second are only paid for time on board. If you want to get a annual pay rate it then depends how many month you work. A contract for 5/6/7 is normal. Therefore 6 month onboard as a third mate will net you 13,500 pounds with no benefits.The Chief mate, Chief Engineer, Electrical Engineer and captain all get loyalty bonuses (few thousand dollars) and some basic at home salary (few hundred dollars per month)These are deep sea salaries. From what have gathered so far this is not about jobs or the lack of them, but pay and conditions. If you can get a job:With the government In a developed country For an oil major tanker/gas carrierWith a good cruise lineWith a good RoRo pax companySuperyachtsYou will be ok. If you plan to get a jobOn a car/bulk carrierRandom Chemical/gas/tankerPoor RoRo pax/cruiseSomeone from a less well developed country will be willing to do the job for a salary you simply can't/won't live on. The company knows this and won't even consider you for the position, they know you will just leave once you get some sea time. This basically leaves the reality that in a global industry there are only really a limited number of jobs that will allow you to live in a developed country.
    You can see the ITF recommended wages at the following link:

http://www.itfseafarers.org/files/se...rpretation.xls

That's just the recommended so many companys pay less, some more. But on a Masters ITF wages you'd get more flipping burgers in McDonalds in the UK so it kinds of makes going to sea pointless. That's about the kind of money most deep sea companies pay their crew from developing coutries.

There's still good money on LNG with some companies paying 3/Os about 40k 3 months on 2 off, and Skippers about 100k+ 3 months on 3 off. I don't know exact figures off the top of my head but the money on cruise ships isn't meant to be that great, but you can live off it, and with the collapse in the pound it's given a good pay rise as wages are usually in dollars/euro with a lot of companies, the roations there are usually 4 months on 2 off so not the best there either.

Sponsoring Company
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GarnetWomack View Post
    That's about the kind of money most deep sea companies pay their crew from developing coutries.
    Sweeping generalisation there... what logic are you basing your judgement on?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by newbie View Post
    Sweeping generalisation there... what logic are you basing your judgement on?
    From speaking to Filipino, Ukrainian and Russian seafarers and them telling me about the general pay and conditions their compatriots get paid.

If you want some real sources:

http://www.hellenicshippingnews.com/...labour-market/

Major Ukrainian trade unions joined forces and developed a new collective bargain agreement (CBA) with the lowest recommended wage for ratings starting from US$1,085
    The global economic crisis has forced shipping companies to hire ratings from India, China, the Philippines, Indonesia and other countries with a minimum wage of US$1,100. Ukraine is able to offer a significant amount of skilled ratings ready to work at the same wage. However, the current situation in the local labour market is preventing them from getting a job.

The new CBA was presented to Ukrainian representatives of global shipping companies on 9 February 2017. It received considerable interest from such companies as VShips, MSC, Columbia Shipmanagement and Univis, as well as a number of major crewing agencies.
    The biggest ship management companies in the world rubbing their hands together in glee at the prospect of already cheap labour getting even cheaper.