NT Tax Codes

Thread: NT Tax Codes

Deck Officer (CoC: OOW)
    Thanks

NT Tax Codes

Hi everyone. So I've just qualified with Princess and about to go away this weekend having just got my contract etc. through. Having spoken to a few officers on board they seem to suggest getting an NT tax code as opposed to claiming the tax back at the end of the tax year (and also I doubt I'd be able to claim back the tax until April 2019 with the way my contracts will fit in.) So this brings me on to my questions:

1) Does anyone know what I will need to give to HMRC to get such a tax code, other than my company's PAYE code?
    2) Who would people recommend for tax agencies, currently I'm only aware of Seatax and SK tax. Is there any reason to pick one over the other or a different one altogether?

Thanks for any replies/help

Deck Officer (CoC: Master)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JG03 View Post
    Hi everyone. So I've just qualified with Princess and about to go away this weekend having just got my contract etc. through. Having spoken to a few officers on board they seem to suggest getting an NT tax code as opposed to claiming the tax back at the end of the tax year (and also I doubt I'd be able to claim back the tax until April 2019 with the way my contracts will fit in.) So this brings me on to my questions:

1) Does anyone know what I will need to give to HMRC to get such a tax code, other than my company's PAYE code?
    2) Who would people recommend for tax agencies, currently I'm only aware of Seatax and SK tax. Is there any reason to pick one over the other or a different one altogether?

Thanks for any replies/help
    Since you have to submit a tax return anyway, you are as well just claiming it back at end of the year (along with any other elegible earnings) - it's not like the difference will earn a noticeable amount of interest but ultimately up to yourself - ask the other officers how they got one.

Accountants are pretty much all the same; Seatax and SK Tax seem to be the most popular (I use SK Tax), but you can probably also find a local accountant who will happily do it for you for probably less / the same.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

– Mark Twain
    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Deck Officer (CoC: Chief Mate)
    Thanks

When I joined my current company they provided me with a template letter which I sent away to HMRC along with a copy of my contract and a few months later I got a letter back confirming I was now NT (and a heft tax refund in the following months payslip). Having just had a quick look, there appears to be a way to do this online now: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...rs-nt-code-r44

I have been NT for several years and would highly recommend it. Extra few hundred quid in your bank every month and no waiting round for a refund at the end of the year.

I do my tax return myself. Takes me about 20 minutes.