I'm new here, forgive the FNG vibe

I'm new here, forgive the FNG vibe

Starting a Cadetship as an engineer in September at Fleetwood Nautical College.
    Any tips or advice I should know before I start? Cheers!

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new career. My son is starting in Fleetwood as well in September, on the deck side. The advice coming from his brother, who would be at his second year deck is to brush up on your maths at summer if needed. Of course it depends what route you are doing hnc ,hnd or fd and your present results in gcse or alevel. There is LOTS of maths from the start, you should at least have a good level of gcse maths. Be ready to work hard and revise, lots of focus and self study needed. Do not delay and procrastinate as come january 2 weeks of exams are packed and you need passes at all of them to go to your first sea phase. Look at it as a job commitment, 9-5 is normal day, often you would need to stay even later for additional courses. Basically take it seriously from the beginning. I am sure you would enjoy Fleetwood, its a friendly, close knit community. Good luck!

Hi Chalkyboy,

Well done and congratulations for securing a cadetship at FNC.

Firstly, the campus itself is not really a university, but it is a place of work. There will be people of many background, experience levels, ages and maturity levels.

Secondly, like you, I had a number of questions I was not able to answer before starting, so here are a few hints and tips for you!

- When arriving at halls, be prompt, don't be afraid to introduce yourself to your peers. Making friends early is what you'll need to be successful in this career.
    - Points on the joining instructions such as what to bring are not 100% clear, so, you will need your own bedding, including pillows, duvet, covers and mattress covers. If you don't want to bring it up with you, there's an Asda down the road which you can go to and buy what you need.
    - If you aren't issued with your uniform before you leave, it will either be waiting for you in a box behind the registration people, or it may be delivered to the cadet managers at the college.
    - Within your first few weeks, you will go on CDC (Cadet Development Course), like an outward bounds trip, for a week. You will stay in Derwentwater in the Lake District for a week, sharing dorms with your future colleague cadets. It's a great time, and you will enjoy it. Activities are timetabled, and you will all do the same. Activities include hiking and map reading, orienteering, gill scrambling, rock climbing, canoeing and team building tasks. It's really enjoyable but prepare to get wet, especially whilst gill scrambling, canoeing, and hiking across boggy marshland whilst reading a book with snow travelling horizontally in your face. Take at least 2 pairs of trainers, preferably hiking boots. One pair will get wet! Others include waterproof trousers, 2 x fleece tops, gloves, snood/sleeve, spare pair of thick socks and a warm hat!
    - From September, the college will no longer be accepting personal post to students i.e. Amazon orders. Any parcels sent from your company to you via the college should be sent to the cadet managers on site, and you should receive a text asking you to go and collect them.
    - On your first day, be in uniform, and it's usually a paperwork day. Correcting any issues and getting your timetables. Your lecturers and course leaders will introduce themselves to you.
    - There is a flag duty which is done on a rotational basis between the L3 Deck, L3 Engine, FD Deck and FD Engine cadets. It is your responsibility to check who you are doing the flag with as it's a 2 person job. It is done in uniform, and goes up first thing in the morning, and comes down when dinner is being served, so on your day, you may unfortunately be at the back of dinner queue!
    - You may do your short courses at the beginning, middle or towards the end of phase 1. Keep an eye on the timetable!
    - Although you are issued boiler suits by your company, the college will provide you with 2 brand new, B&FC FNC branded boiler suits. Keep these clean as these are supposed to see you right through to phase 5!
    - Regular room inspections occur, and some are random. Ensure that your room is cleaned of any waste, washing is put away, clean clothes are folded, uniform is ironed and hung up, and that the window is open to ventilate the room as it does get quite stuffy! As a general rule, no perishable foods in your room!
    - As an engineer, you will have reports to complete. These range from Health and Safety to Boiler Inspections. They vary depending on the course and level you are on, and some have time limits of upto a year for when they need to be completed.
    - Subjects such as Strength and Materials need constant revision, so consolidation of your work every day after class is needed! Keep notes and a neat filing system. It helps when you come round to your final Phase 1 exams, that I can promise you!
    - Make sure you have a copy of Thermodynamics with you, a copy can be found floating around on here electronically.
    - The college lecturers are always happy to help, plus there are clinics for you to attend, such as Maths, Stability, Strength & Materials and Thermodynamic Properties.
    - Finally, enjoy yourself! You will have great fun in Phase 1!

I hope this helps! If you have any other concerns of questions, feel free to ask here or PM me!

4. The following 2 users say Thank You to easterndocks for this useful post:

Arabesque (6 Days Ago),Notsofast (6 Days Ago)

Deck Officer (CoC: Chief Mate)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by easterndocks View Post
    - From September, the college will no longer be accepting personal post to students i.e. Amazon orders.
    Lol what? College halls wind me up. They expect people to live there for 9 months or so without receiving post? What nonsense.

OC's Resident CV Guru
    Retired Deck Officer
    Thanks
    Oh, and one other point.

Alcohol and drug testing do happen, so expect one at some time. Now is the time to stop anything illegal before you start.

I heard a lovely story recently of a phase 1 cadet who failed a drugs test for Weed within the first few weeks. The background level for THC is less than 20 - he failed with a score over 700! He must have had a spliff to calm his nerves before he went in for the test.

I am not going to get into a debate about drugs and alcohol. They are a no-no and if you get caught you will lose your job - full stop!

I am not saying you cannot go out and drink, even to excess, just keep it to the right days and times and you will have no problem.

Ian.
    "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.

"Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Quote Originally Posted by EH75 View Post
    Lol what? College halls wind me up. They expect people to live there for 9 months or so without receiving post? What nonsense.
    Yeah it's because the college doesn't have a specific mail handling office or staff. It's down to reception, and if you were a visitor and saw many boxes from amazon and other delivery companies piled up on main reception, it doesn't look professional.

The college did allow post from students which didn't need to be signed for to be forwarded to halls, but then it's security who has to come and give it to students.

It takes both receptionists and security staff away from their primary role, just to get student post etc. I can see the colleges point of the matter in all fairness.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchorder View Post
    Oh, and one other point.

Alcohol and drug testing do happen, so expect one at some time. Now is the time to stop anything illegal before you start.

I heard a lovely story recently of a phase 1 cadet who failed a drugs test for Weed within the first few weeks. The background level for THC is less than 20 - he failed with a score over 700! He must have had a spliff to calm his nerves before he went in for the test.

I am not going to get into a debate about drugs and alcohol. They are a no-no and if you get caught you will lose your job - full stop!

I am not saying you cannot go out and drink, even to excess, just keep it to the right days and times and you will have no problem.

Ian.
    That's very true. It all depends on your company. Some will do more drug and alcohol tests than others. No one will get notice of when it's going to happen either. Like you say, bottom line is no drink on week nights that could put you anywhere near the dangers of failing a test!

Deck Cadet
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EH75 View Post
    If you're living in halls then I am fairly sure you can still have parcels delivered, it is only if you're not living in halls.

Quote Originally Posted by Wave View Post
    If you're living in halls then I am fairly sure you can still have parcels delivered, it is only if you're not living in halls.
    Not even halls now. It all goes though reception, and anything from september delivered will be turned away and students will have to go to the local sorting office to collect post!