Flagged vessels

Thread: Flagged vessels

Post Flagged vessels

Hi everyone

Is there much of a difference between a British flag ship and a Liberia flag ship or any other county.

thanks

Deck Cadet
    Thanks
    *puts popcorn in microwave*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Parent
    Thanks
    Must confess, I was expecting substantial action... do you have any crisps inland pirate? I prefer them to popcorn. Though I do think someone ought to try an answer this cadet.

Retired Radio Officer
    Thanks
    I'll bite. It depends on the ship. Some British ships are ****e. Some Liberian/Bermudan/Isle of Man/blahblahblah ships are the mut's nuts.

In the 80s P&O Bulk bought us all Liberian discharge books. I've still got mine. I suspect that if they'd flagged out the fleet conditions would have remained pretty much the same otherwise they'd just have put a foreign crew on board rather than go to the trouble and expense of getting Liberian tickets for everybody.
    io parlo morse

Engineer Officer (CoC: Chief)
    Thanks
    It depends on the owner in all honesty. The things you can get away with will vary along with some of thing more odd ways and rules about things.

Is technically cheaper as the rules maybe less sever or stringent but given mlc imo etc etc and a decent owner /operator then most did well be similar and to similar standards
    You might want to phrase your question better if you want specific things clarifying if you have particular concerns etc etc
    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Deck Cadet
    Thanks
    The way one of my lecturer's put at college is that it's more about the enforcement than the actual standards.

With the 'international' laws, such as SOLAS, the MLC, STCW, everyone will pretty much have the same base standard. there may be some flags that have higher standards in some areas, but the real difference between a flag like the British and the Liberian may simply come down to how tough they are enforcing their laws. Liberian-registered ship owners may be more relaxed about upholding standards, because they know it's less likely that someone is going to do a flag state inspection, than perhaps the MCA rocking up on at the bottom of your gangway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deck Officer (CoC: OOW)
    Thanks

But then certain flags are subject to more intense port state control, so much of a muchness. A lot will depend on the trading area.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Hello! I'm Chris. I'm away a lot so I'm sorry if it takes me a while to reply to messages, but I promise I'll get back to everyone. If it's urgent, please email me directly at christopher.doyle@officercadet.com. I'm on Twitter and LinkedIn, please feel free to follow/connect!

Need books, Flip Cards or chartwork instruments? Visit SailorShop.co.uk!