Grrrrrrrrrrrrr! Scum of the earth......

OC's Resident CV Guru
    Retired Deck Officer
    Thanks

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr! Scum of the earth......

So tonight I tried to speak to "The Hatchling" on Skype, who is in Denmark trialing a new Bridge Team Management training exercise for 4 days with three fellow officers only for him to ring me on his mobile to say that all the wifi and network is down at the training establishment because of a huge cyber attack.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cyber-attack-maersk-idUSKBN19I1NO

It seems that a copycat attack of Wannacry has taken out huge numbers of IT systems around the world starting in the Ukraine and Russia.

Many moons ago I was the MD of a large IT Security Company and ran 3 operations in the UK, Dubai and the Czech Republic and one of the questions I was always asked was why do these people do this. As an organisation we had hundreds of people who worked on the right side of the fence and the recurring theme was that they could go home and tell people what they did and be proud of it and were able to sleep at night.

These people who have written and release Wannacry and Petya will never be able to boast about what they did, they will always be looking over their shoulder to see who is watching them and if they are ever found they will not like the consequences as has been proved by the people who released Wannacry. To my knowledge all those that paid the ransom in Bitcoin have not only not had the decryption key sent to them but also the perps have not been able to collect their ill gotten gains as so many people are tracking the account.....

We were always amazed at how these infections spread - usually by someone doing something idiotic in the first place, but also we were stunned at how many big organisations did not have the proper systems and backups in place to be able to replicate their systems should something like this strike.

So, I hope they keep looking over their shoulders, I hope that the Russian Secret Service tap them on the shoulder one day and that their next sh1t is a hedgehog!

In the meantime folks keep your data safe, back it up off site, on the cloud or get a NAS server and don't do anything stupid in response to an email!

Ggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Ian
    "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.

"Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

2. The following 2 users say Thank You to Hatchorder for this useful post:

Chiefy (3 Weeks Ago),Notsofast (3 Weeks Ago)

Deck Officer (CoC: OOW)
    Thanks
    While I obviously don't condone or sympathise with the people behind these attacks, I do think that most victims are really not helping themselves. The Big Blue Canoe have only this year started upgrading from XP and every single ship has had a computer network so infected with viruses that it should have been put down by a vet. God help us when autonomous ships with outdated IT security are attacked http://gcaptain.com/worlds-first-rem...in-copenhagen/

Parent
    Thanks
    Job section of the website isn't working either apparently. Not quite sure how people apply for jobs, presume they'll have to extend deadlines.
    In the old days of course you wrote a letter and posted it. Now they whole world grinds to a halt! God help us if the ATMs and bank networks crash too . We will all starve, no freight no food and no access to money. Perhaps I should put some money under the mattress in case, go shopping and stock up the cupboard. For those ancient people around here who recall the old days of nuclear warnings and the fuzzy ads, they'll remember the advice about having 14 days of food in your cupboard.
    Thinking about it now, a door to create a shelter and a sheet of plastic was hardly likely to be of much help, but you at least wouldn't be hungry whilst you glowed in the dark!

Retired Radio Officer
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HarmlessWeasel View Post
    While I obviously don't condone or sympathise with the people behind these attacks, I do think that most victims are really not helping themselves. The Big Blue Canoe have only this year started upgrading from XP and every single ship has had a computer network so infected with viruses that it should have been put down by a vet. God help us when autonomous ships with outdated IT security are attacked http://gcaptain.com/worlds-first-rem...in-copenhagen/
    That tug looks as though it was built by Airfix.
    io parlo morse

OC's Resident CV Guru
    Retired Deck Officer
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HarmlessWeasel View Post
    While I obviously don't condone or sympathise with the people behind these attacks, I do think that most victims are really not helping themselves. The Big Blue Canoe have only this year started upgrading from XP and every single ship has had a computer network so infected with viruses that it should have been put down by a vet.
    Oh, I absolutely agree. I wrote an article which was widely published in 2000 just after Lovebug had done the rounds. We were in the world of Windows 95 / 98 and NT4 Server, but funnily enough I found someone who still has the article live that they republished in 2011........ Here

Now some of the advice is out of date, such as windows scripting host and floppy disks but you are right in the fact that people are sometimes too stupid to help themselves and the whole article was about using Common Sense......

But that is what kept me in a job!

Ian.
    "Any damn fool can navigate the world sober. It takes a really good sailor to do it drunk." - Sir Francis Chichester.

"Waves are not measured in feet or inches, they are measured in increments of fear." - Buzzy Trent

"Careers at Sea" Ambassador - Experience of General Cargo, Combo ships, Tanker, Product Carrier, Gas Carrier, Ro-Ro, Reefer Container, Anchor Handlers.

Engineer Officer (CoC: Chief)
    Thanks
    HW Bollocks, talking out your hat.

Can't recall last time we have virii on board, other than those brought on by crew and planners......never a single infection from email or Internet connectivity.

The crew on the other hand with music and movies on network shares from sources of dubious providence on the other hand case mayhem. Its why I happily wipe any and all material when it's found.

There a lot wrong with ships IT but running XP isn't one of them, the systems as a whole arent connected to the internet as such are air gapped (water gapped)the system is well understood and most issues can be and where being resolved v quickly due to this level of knowledge. We now have newer less well understood software with new attack vectors and arguably less understanding of the systems, their function and topology.

But hey what do I know? I just get to clean up after the retards have ****ed it by putting in usb and hdd that should never have been plugged in anyway........even with warning signs posted and standing orders to the contrary.
    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

8. The following user says Thank You to Chiefy for this useful post:

newbie (3 Weeks Ago)

Engineer Officer (CoC: Chief)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchorder View Post
    Oh, I absolutely agree. I wrote an article which was widely published in 2000 just after Lovebug had done the rounds. We were in the world of Windows 95 / 98 and NT4 Server, but funnily enough I found someone who still has the article live that they republished in 2011........ Here

Now some of the advice is out of date, such as windows scripting host and floppy disks but you are right in the fact that people are sometimes too stupid to help themselves and the whole article was about using Common Sense......

But that is what kept me in a job!

Ian.
    Common sense......a commodity that is rarer than its name implies
    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief