Internet usage at sea. - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Deck Officer (CoC: Master)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefy View Post
    To be honest there is a huge debate at sea about the best way to preserve and lower data use for phones etc.

All the above are good ways, as is finding "light" versions of apps that are full of bloat coding and data requests, turn email push off so it only checks when you ask it to.

We have huge rows about turning wifi off when not in cabins,but all that achieves is that at 1700 ish no one can get on the net as each device suddenly sees the internet and pulls al the face ache and titter updates etc etc instead of the data just trickling through the day an update at a time. Ultimately it uses the same amount of data but instead of spreading it out it tries all at once.

Other things to do are to turn of auto play for video on all apps, that often loads things in the background waiting for you to scroll to it.
    On the Maersk vessels I worked on they had some form of 'gateway' which tried to manage the load, however the best I saw was on a super yacht (which incidentally had oodles of bandwidth) and a dedicated AV/IT guy with a proper gateway setup that automatically suspended access to excessive users based on their MAC addresses, also lots of selective port blocking (took some trial and error) which eventually resulted in smoother internet for everyone. I'm surprised that an off the shelf gateway that manages the bandwidth onboard hasn't become available for most ships yet.

Retired Radio Officer
    Thanks
    What a bunch of wimps. Back in the day you had a choice of a Ship Letter Telegram (22 words for the modern equivalent of a fiver) or snap crackle pop shortwave phone calls at a fiver a minute
    io parlo morse

Deck Officer (CoC: Master)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by endure View Post
    What a bunch of wimps. Back in the day you had a choice of a Ship Letter Telegram (22 words for the modern equivalent of a fiver) or snap crackle pop shortwave phone calls at a fiver a minute
    You also had booze and a decent sized crew with more then a few hours in port! :-)

4. The following user says Thank You to YoungMariner for this useful post:

endure (12th June 2017)

Deck Cadet
    Thanks

I've never found an iPhone to be too heavy on the data when in low power etc (all mentioned above)

But the best thing I've found so far is to set a Windows PC to "metered connection" and then use Firewall to block everything you don't want accessing the internet. Make sure you do that first before connecting... The first ship I was on, I connected and then spent half an hour trying to configure the firewall. Re-checked my balance and my weekly 200mb was gone!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12