Anglo Eastern

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anglo Eastern

Aspiring Deck Cadet
    Thanks

Anglo Eastern

Evening all,

I have an interview with AE next week and was wondering if anyone could provide some up to date insight on their sponsoring companies, any first hand experience with AE etc.
    Thanks folks

Hi Hammerhead,

I'm currently at the end of Phase One of my cadetship with Anglo - I wrote a couple of indepth(ish) posts about the interview process on my blog so that might be worth a read - this is the interviews post [ here ].
    26//Officer Cadet//Phase Two//Warsash

My officer cadet blog - SeasboundBySummer.Tumblr.com

Aspiring Deck Cadet
    Thanks
    Nice one, many thanks! Really good read and well written.

Aspiring Deck Cadet
    Thanks
    Seabound when an we expect the next instalment ��

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie dean View Post
    Seabound when an we expect the next instalment ��
    Probably next week mate, I'm slapbang in the middle of exams at the moment so that's taken the backburner.

Aspiring Deck Cadet
    Thanks
    That's ok mate just realised it didn't recognise my smiley face. Hope you do well in your exams.

Other (on shore)
    Thanks
    Anglo Eastern provide either technical management for the ship, crew management for the ship or a combined fully managed and crewed ship for a large number of ship owners. I worked with them back in 2014 but had no dealings with UK cadets on the Nigeria LNG ships. We did have Nigerian cadets who were on a training program administered by Anglo Eastern from there Glasgow office and I found their Cadet Training Manager to be putting a bit of pressure on the ships officers to assist the cadets which is very good for cadets. The training record books and monthly reports had to be emailed in every month and there was always constructive feedback.

From what I can gather you will be an employee of Anglo Eastern, not working for an agency that will allocate you a sponsoring company to provide your sea time.

In the time I was there they lost their contracts with Nigeria LNG and Dockwise who have heavy lift ships used for transporting heavy loads such as ships and oil rigs. They managed 8 large bulk carriers for Rio Tinto and were employing British Officers on them. I think if you end up on them and perform well you will have a job at the end of the training.

They also manage just about every type of cargo ship going with car carriers, oil tankers, product tankers, cement carriers and even a NATO research vessel. They also manage for big name companies like Maersk.

Ask at the interview what type of ships you will be going on and the prospects of employment at the end of it.

I found them a great company to work for. The office are there to assist the ships when required without trying to micromanage the ships. There is little red tape and bureaucracy so getting spares quickly was never a problem. They were a very reliable company to work for and friendly to work with when you had to pick up the phone and get in touch with them.

Quote Originally Posted by NT Dee View Post

From what I can gather you will be an employee of Anglo Eastern, not working for an agency that will allocate you a sponsoring company to provide your sea time.
    I think if you end up on them and perform well you will have a job at the end of the training. They were a very reliable company to work for and friendly to work with when you had to pick up the phone and get in touch with them.
    I agree with all of this. Leigh and Vicki are more than approachable and we were talking about employment the last time they visited Warsash - it seems like if your sponsor company can't offer you a job one of the other companies in their portfolio will. It felt very in-house, which was nice. But yeah, you'll be employed by Anglo on behalf of a chosen sponsor company.

Aspiring Deck Cadet
    Thanks
    Thanks all, very insightful. I was under the impression Anglo didn't have the Rio contract any more, is this correct?

My son is with Anglo, presently in Brazil on his 2nd phase, he is deck cadet with DAO, bulk carrier( you can google them). He is happy with his cadetship, he is in Glasgow college, everything was running smooth, good communication with the office. There is no job guarantee at the end, but they told him that his sponsoring company did employ at the past and they will do their best to find him employment with the companies they manage if DAO won't take him on, so there is hope there. He is very happy on board, the crew is russian-officers, and filipino-sailors. They take real interest in training him, give him lots of real seafaring opportunities, not chipping jobs, he is really happy. There are two other engineering cadets on board from Shetland college.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast