• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bw5991
    • June 2012

Coastal / Deep Sea.. Differences?

Hey,

Got a job as a 4th with a deep sea container company after spending all my cadetship on offshore/coastal ships.

Just wondering if anyone has worked on both types of vessels and could tell me the main differences / what to expect? Specifically in terms of the work day. Will be going from being used to having a crew of 4/5 to having a crew of 10/11 in the engine room.

Cheers.
  • YoungMariner
    • April 2011

If it's with a good company I'm sure you'll see a much better paced lifestyle, a lot more space onboard and probably some good recreational facilities. Overall deep sea tends to be a slower pace with more routine, if it's your thing you will look forward to the long sea days and lazy Sunday afternoon BBQs. You probably won't have the constant feeling or fatigue and firefighting for every maintenance issue that occurs on coastal and and offshore vessels.
    However for some it can be boring and monotonous, for others its a chance to catch up on studying, reading and personal interests.

Comment

• Lewis
      • December 2010

Don't rub it in us decked don't get a lazy Sunday afternoon still watches to do

Comment

• YoungMariner
        • April 2011

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
        Don't rub it in us decked don't get a lazy Sunday afternoon still watches to do
        But you don't have to do your extra 2 hours and a decent skipper might do the odd watch right? :-)

Comment

• Lewis
          • December 2010

Yeah but they are few and far between

Comment

Working...
          X