Preparation for Orals

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Deck Officer (CoC: OOW)
    Thanks

Preparation for Orals

Want to nip the COLREGS in the bud fairly early, is there a collection of any websites or good apps for quizzing you on the COLREGS? Or do you recommend anything?

Appreciate any help

Thanks
    Good call, it's never too early to get them squared away, I would recommend doing the same for IALA buoyage. Flash cards helped me to a point, just beware of the trap of learning the cards rather than the actual rules they're illustrating. Your best resource is definitely the people around you, if possible get your officers/shipmates/classmates to test you on it. Also I found repetition helps, just reading the rules over and over again. There is a RoR pocketbook guide which is well worth getting. On my last ship as a cadet I carried it with me all the time and flicked through it whenever I had a few minutes.

As for websites a lot of my classmates used this one http://manila2010.co.uk/oowtaster.php contains a lot of other information which is useful for Orals prep.

Engineer Officer (CoC: EOOW)
    Thanks
    If you take the flashcard route then I'd recommend Anki, it's an electronic flashcard programme which uses spaced repetition. It's free to download from their website, easy enough to find on google.

Thanks
    Appreciate the replies. Just the lights and sounds for the technical vessels like sailing vessels that I'm struggling with now so will try that programme, cheers

Thanks
    Have you done your signals exam yet? Sound signals confused me no end until I learned signal flags and morse code and realised they are connected. For example:

altering cours to stoarboard = flag Echo , sound signal is one short blast = morse E
    operating astern propulsion = flag Seirra, sound signal is three short blasts = morse S
    Optional identity signal for a Pilot vessel in res vis is four short blasts or morse H, the corresponding flag indicates the need for a pilot.

not all the COLREGs sound signals can be learned this way but it covers most of them and is easy to retain.

Thanks
    Right, cheers will take a look. Quick one, what is standard dress code for these things? Suit? Or white shirt black pants job?

Thanks
    For the Oral exam itself a suit is the norm

Thanks
    Personally, Id recommend knowing Rules 1-19 verbatim - it'll really help you in the oral exam.There is no shortcut for that, you just have to learn them...
    'Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans'

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blondie View Post
    Personally, Id recommend knowing Rules 1-19 verbatim - it'll really help you in the oral exam.There is no shortcut for that, you just have to learn them...
    Plus being asked to quote a rule and then being unable to do so is not a hole you want to have to dig yourself out of in the exam room!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast