Big blue canoe, neutral bouyancy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Engineer Officer (CoC: Chief)
    Thanks

Big blue canoe, neutral bouyancy

Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Parent
    Thanks
    Ohh dear seemed very close to the shore didn't it, and a very odd course unless there was a port it was headed for.

OC's Resident Grumpy Old Man
    Other (on shore)
    Thanks
    Oops!

Still, it's unlikely to make the G.Captain top ten stories of 2017!
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Deck Officer (CoC: Master)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Midge View Post
    Ohh dear seemed very close to the shore didn't it, and a very odd course unless there was a port it was headed for.
    Messina Straights are only 2-3 miles wide.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

– Mark Twain
    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Parent
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alistairuk View Post
    Messina Straights are only 2-3 miles wide.
    That maybe but the video shows it very close to the shore when it grounded, you don't need to be that close if you have 2/3 miles do you? It was the odd track where it turns towards the shore, most do seem to go in a straight line unless of course they are going into port, or some other planned reason, I hadn't zoomed in to take a look at what was there. Maybe there is some navigational reason, I'm not a professional like you lot!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Midge View Post
    That maybe but the video shows it very close to the shore when it grounded, you don't need to be that close if you have 2/3 miles do you? It was the odd track where it turns towards the shore, most do seem to go in a straight line unless of course they are going into port, or some other planned reason, I hadn't zoomed in to take a look at what was there. Maybe there is some navigational reason, I'm not a professional like you lot!
    You have to follow the traffic lanes which form a Large S going through the straights, its volcanic and 100m's deep pretty much to the shore they appear to have been turning onto the east bound leg of the north bound traffic lane and just kept turning for whatever reason - you do the transit at 12-20kts depending on ship and pick the pilots up at around 16-18kts - probably only place in world your not told to slow down for the pilot. It also has very strong currents.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

– Mark Twain
    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Parent
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alistairuk View Post
    You have to follow the traffic lanes which form a Large S going through the straights, its volcanic and 100m's deep pretty much to the shore they appear to have been turning onto the east bound leg of the north bound traffic lane and just kept turning for whatever reason - you do the transit at 12-20kts depending on ship and pick the pilots up at around 16-18kts - probably only place in world your not told to slow down for the pilot. It also has very strong currents.
    Thank you that makes sense as to why it looked such an odd course. You learn something new everyday!

Thanks
    Not the first time there's been a mishap there in last few months, our friends at Carnival Corp managed to wipe out the marina leaving Messina in the summer... I assume they miss judged the effect of the current but I don't think there's been any report yet.

– Mark Twain

Parent
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=alistairuk;108661]Not the first time there's been a mishap there in last few months, our friends at Carnival Corp managed to wipe out the marina leaving Messina in the summer... I assume they miss judged the effect of the current but I don't think there's been any report yet.

You can just see the £€$$$$$$$$$ going on that......

Thanks

Pretty bizarre, I can't remember what the pilot requirements are for a transit, I know that although we took them on the cruise ships, for many ships it's not mandatory.
    Very annoying when you have insufficient UKC to continue the passage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast