Finding digs to live

Deck Officer (CoC: OOW)
    Thanks

Finding digs to live

I'm looking at moving away from the family home as I'm not getting any younger. However, I have struggled to find a compromise on a place to live. A mortgage is out of the option (too expensive and a deposit would take years to save up - need a place asap). Renting means leaving a gaff empty for half a year and still paying for it, and also leaving expensive goodies about unguarded. A large temptation for naughty scallywags.

So I ask you, great people of Officer Cadet, what do you do for housing? I must add, I'd prefer answers from those unmarried folks among us and I'm open to all alternative living ideas (except joining a cult).

OC's Resident Grumpy Old Man
    Other (on shore)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sun Zenith View Post
    (except joining a cult).
    What's wrong with joining a cult huh? You're more than welcome to come and join mine!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

3. The following user says Thank You to GuinnessMan for this useful post:

Mr_Nicoll (14th January 2017)

Retired Radio Officer
    Thanks
    Resistance is useless - capacitance is crap

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    io parlo morse

Deck Officer (CoC: Master)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sun Zenith View Post
    I'm looking at moving away from the family home as I'm not getting any younger. However, I have struggled to find a compromise on a place to live. A mortgage is out of the option (too expensive and a deposit would take years to save up - need a place asap). Renting means leaving a gaff empty for half a year and still paying for it, and also leaving expensive goodies about unguarded. A large temptation for naughty scallywags.

So I ask you, great people of Officer Cadet, what do you do for housing? I must add, I'd prefer answers from those unmarried folks among us and I'm open to all alternative living ideas (except joining a cult).
    Remain with parents unless they're is some major reason for not doing so - as annoying as it may be, especially if one of them is always around and slowly driving you insane.... Save as much as possible, get one of those help to buy ISAs / accounts (or similar). Depending on your rotation Try and put at least one months salary away each trip specifically for your house and anything you have left over as well. (Eg. I work 3 months at a time; 1 months goes straight to my savings in a limited access account (high interest rate) and I aim to spend less than 1 month salary each vacation... so far so good).

Why remain with parents (if possible)? As you already mentioned leaving somewhere empty for half the year isn't a good idea, you'll also have to pay council tax, utilities and everything else while your not at your home as well as any mortgage / rent... if you can avoid these then you can clearly save more! Each to their own though, I randomly look at houses / flats but so far nothing has really caught my eye.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

– Mark Twain
    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Deck Officer (CoC: OOW)
    Thanks
    I appreciate the reply but for a varity of reasons I cannot continue to live at my current abode. To be completely frank a mortgage is not where I'd like to be either. I guess I am looking at alternative living arragements rather than the traditional rent/mortgage options, if these even exist? Communities for seafarers? Living on sail boats on leave? Travelling around in a camper van? etc

Aspiring Deck Cadet
    Thanks
    I was in a similar position a few years ago (albeit I was working in a different industry but still working abroad a lot of the time) and I decided to go down the houseboat route. Of course, you still have to pay mooring fees whilst away but (depending on where your boat is) it could be left in a relatively secure marina or boatyard and you should be able to arrange for someone to keep an eye on it whilst your gone. I got my boat mostly with a loan from the bank - it was an old classic steel tugboat that needed work doing to it but it was useable and had a good hull/top sides. I worked on it to tidy it up and make the layout more liveaboard friendly when I was on leave (and of course, to keep her running - no point having a boat that doesn't go!?) I lived on board for about 6 years and managed to sell for a good price - which in turn gave me a lump sum as a deposit for a house, more so than if I had just tried to save money each month! But, Be Warned, this is not the solution for everyone as there is still lots of hard work to do in maintenance etc especially if you are a one-man band as I was and its difficult to know what you can sell it for at the end but it could be an option to look into. If you do go down this route, don't buy a boat without getting it surveyed first - you don't want to spend lots of time/money on repairing the hull!

OC's Resident Grumpy Old Man
    Other (on shore)
    Thanks

On a slightly more serious note, could you not share a flat or house with someone you know? You are still paying whilst you're away yes, but at least your stuff isn't unguarded...
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.