What is the situation with jobs

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Unregistered

What is the situation with jobs

Hi

So, I'm a soon to be qualified EOOW and I'm currently in the process of figuring out my future. I'm currently sponsored by a large ship Manning agency for an offshore comoany now I'm certain I won't be offered a job as I've been told that the company I am doing my sea time with no longer takes on their engineering cadets as junior engineers, (deck side they take some of them on as trainee DPO) do I have a suspicion I'm going to be job hunting.

Now my problem is I can't find anywhere a valid argument in favour of this l, a lot of sources say that I would basically have no chance going to sea as a junior engineer (it strikes me that the only people who are very pro seagoing jobs being out there on here are the old timers and the people who are already chief engoneers)

I guess my question is what are the chances of actually being able to secure a job? How should I go about securing a job? Ideally I would like to work offshore but given the current circumstances I can't see that happening.

Thanks
    Concerned soon-to-be EOOW

Retired Radio Officer
    Thanks
    Yet another anonymous pop at 'old timers' What a shocker! Beginning to feel like someone has an agenda...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    io parlo morse

someone needs a hug!

What's a trainee DPO?

Unregistered
    Endure, it's a fairly common saying in my defense.
    And instead of getting all defensive perhaps just, I dunno give suggestions for those of us qualifying soon.
    It's one thing to say there's jobs out there but from what I understand and can see, especially for those of us who will have no experience other than the cadetship, it's another thing to actually find a job.

I came into this process knowing I wasn't gauranteed a job but it strikes me that there is little to no hope in the current market and the old timers are the ones saying there's are jobs but get all defensive when someone says otherwise!!
    So you may see an agenda on this side of the argument but I too can see one on the flip side.

A trainee DPo is a trainee Dynamic Positioning Officer normally found on offshore vessel.

Electro-Technical Officer
    Thanks
    Well bp take on junior engineers though i dont know the situation regarding endorsements.
    Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Electro-Technical Officer
    Thanks
    @matt247 dynamic positioning officer. A deck officer who monitors the positioning computer.
    Former TH cadet with experience of cruise ships, buoy tenders, research ships and oil tankers

Deck Officer (CoC: Master)
    Thanks
    Opinions seem to be complete mixed on here, but for the most part it will be case of applying to every company and agency you can find.
    Even when I qualified in 2006, jobs were not plentiful for newly qualified OOW's. But strangely, once you have 6-12 months seatime under your belt as OOW, the workplace seems to open up. Kind of a catch 22.

Yes, you will find plenty of retired or experienced people on here with a slightly different opinion, but they generally are well intentioned.

That being said, when I went to see 14 years ago, I thought I'd be at sea for life, but last year I swallowed the anchor and moved ashore after my second redundancy and the incompatibility of sea and family life (unless you work for a company that values you... Do they even exist?).
    Yours aye,
    Someone who valet parks ships.

Unregistered
    what do you do now Youngmariner?

Deck Officer (CoC: Master)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    what do you do now Youngmariner?
    I valet park other peoples ships now, aka Marine Pilot.
    Yours aye,
    Someone who valet parks ships.