•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

Advice needed.

Hi folks,

I'm a few weeks away from starting my cadetship as an engine cadet and I'm after a bit of advice.

I have a few tattoos on my arm all of which are covered in a long sleeve shirt however if I wear a short sleeve shirt some of my tattoos are exposed as they're on my forearm and inside of wrist. Would this be frowned upon for college appearance and preferred to be covered up?

I've had few of my tattoos for a good few years now and the one on the inside of my wrist is a Jolly Roger.

Over the last few weeks I've been contemplating possibly having the Jolly Roger tattoo removed as I wouldn't want it too cause offence or somebody to complain when I'm on a sea phase or in college. I personally don't see it as an offensive tattoo but i can see how people may think it's distasteful and how it may cause offence and I certainly wouldn't want to cause offence to anyone or for it to be frowned upon by a chief engineer or a captain and having a complaint lodged. I live not far from a laser removal place so there's the option to get it removed and start the lengthy removal process.

First though I'd like a few peoples opinions and thoughts about it as I maybe overthinking the entire thing and there's a chance nobody would bat an eyelid.

Any and every piece of advice/information would be appreciated.

Thank you!
  • Chiefy
    • April 2010

Unless your company has an actual policy I wouldn't be overly worried and apply common sense when wearing short sleeves etc
    Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
    Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
    No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

• GuinnessMan
      OC's Resident Grumpy Old Man
      • April 2010

Unless you're working on cruise then I imagine no one will be particularly bothered...
      I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Comment

• bahco
        • October 2013

A lot of guys have tattoos at my college, some have them on their neck, hands etc. Aslong as your company is aware of your tattoos then it's definitely not a problem. It's only really the cruise liners that care about tattoos.
        Phase 5 SPD engine cadet at city of Glasgow college. Doing a a combined motor and steam ticket.

Comment

• Unregistered

OP here.

I've looked through my cadet handbook and my training agreement but nothing is mentioned about tattoos in either of them. I'm not working for a cruise company it's a cargo company.

When I had my interview and assessment day they were covered up by my shirt as they would be most of the time I suppose. So my company don't know about them.

I think my main worry is that it causes offence on a sea phase as I'm not sure if it would be seen as offensive by non U.K. Nationals and I don't want to open a can of worms.

Do you think maybe talking to my training officer and getting their opinion would be best or do you think that may open a can of worms?

Thanks.

Comment

• YoungMariner
            • April 2011

Seafarers are overall an open minded bunch and generally on a ship you will be judged on your performance and behaviour, not from anything else such as nationality, race, religion or tattoos. I wouldn't worry about it.

If you decide to move to cruise liners or into management you might need to consider the question again but even in then it isn't black and white.

Comment

• Polaris
              • November 2011

I don't think I've met anyone on board with a decent tattoo, you won't be alone. However, I'd keep it hidden during your orals.

Comment

• EH75
                • May 2010

Honestly no one on board will care don't worry about it. Even cruise ships are starting to relax their policies on tattoos, I've sailed with a few people with tattoos on their lower arms etc

Comment

• Chiefy
                  • April 2010

Given I have, in the past year added 3 tattoos to my collection and I get to sail as chief, I should be overly worried, heck I still have my ear piercing in and cant recall last time I took it out....Orals maybe? Pfffft nope cant recall

Anyway, worry not, is the general consensus and if you are/do the just a quick call to the training officer but I doubt they will get excited
                  Trust me I'm a Chief.

Views expressed by me are mine and mine alone.
                  Yes I work for the big blue canoe company.
                  No I do not report things from here to them as they are quite able to come and read this stuff for themselves.

Twitter:- @DeeChief

Comment

• Unregistered

Thanks very much for all the responses folks. Appreciate it.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    or Allowed Filetypes: jpg, jpeg, png, gif, webp
                    x
                    x
                    Working...
                    X