Oral Questions TSS

Deck Officer (CoC: Chief Mate)
    Thanks

Oral Questions TSS

Hi just got a quick question about rule 10 TTS.

I have been a 2/0 for some time and I think maybe what was taught to me is different to what is taught today.

Rule 10 seems straight forward to me, i have spent best part of a morning reversing the main points of this Rule.

I was taught to comply with rule 10, but when it comes to collision avoidance between two vessels, I deal with the collision avoidance exactly the same way as if I was in open water, generally wanting to pass a stern of a vessel when giving way but will also cross ahead if I can do so.

I have just purchased software ROR from Glasgow college which is pretty good, just when it comes to collision avoidance crossing a TSS, its preferred method to Give way when crossing a TSS is to Slow down and let the other vessel pass ahead and never altering to starboard at all, as this will seem that you will be travelling the wrong way in a TTS. Is this the answer the MCA now wants these days ???????

When I am crossing a TSS and have a ship on my starboard side which i have to give way to, I will alter to starboard and pass that vessel astern, then go back to my crossing heading, also would not matter if had to give way to more vessels immediately after the first one which will mean I am now heading the wrong way in a TSS, will alter back to my crossing heading when clear to do so.

In a MCA oral exam which involves a crossing a TSS, Giving way, is better slowing down to let the other vessel to pass ahead or by alteration of course even if it means maybe heading the wrong way in a TSS.

Deck Officer (CoC: Master)
    Thanks
    You do not go the wrong way in a TSS

Deck Officer (CoC: Master)
    Thanks
    You're spot on in your interpretation. Rule 15 (Crossing Situations) applies.

You have three options available to you:

- Go to Starboard and pass astern of him
    - Slow down and let him pass ahead of you
    - Go to Port and cross ahead of him

Ideally the first two options should cover most situations but you may need to go to Port and cross ahead of them in certain situations as long as it is justified ie. Vessel abeam of you to starboard with vessel steaming up your arse.

Nothing wrong in taking those actions. I'd aim for the first two options in your oral unless you were pushed into a situation such as the aforementioned. Don't get caught up on that Software.

If you are the crossing vessel, I'd aim to set her on a course that doesn't cause any other traffic concern. By that I mean I'd slow down before crossing to ensure i wouldn't get in anyone else's way during the manoeuvre ie. create a nice gap for myself. If you did need to take action during the manoeuvre, then again Rule 15 comes into play.

And echoing alistair's point, Don't get into a situation where you're heading the wrong way down a TSS. Hope this helps.

4. The following user says Thank You to Kyuky for this useful post:

R1PHILL (29th December 2016)

Thanks
    Hi Many Thanks, Yes everything much clearer now.

Rule 10 important but when involved in collision avoidance in a TSS rules 13,14,15,16,17,18 take priority.

1. Alteration of course normally the best course of action.
    2. Reduce speed
    3. Pass ahead if circumstances requires it.

OC's Resident Grumpy Old Man
    Other (on shore)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alistairuk View Post
    You do not go the wrong way in a TSS
    Hah! Says you!
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.....

All posts here represent my own opinion and not that of my employer.

Thanks

It is Not going the wrong way, when complying with the collision avoidance rules, as long as you resume your crossing heading as soon as its safe to do so.

Travelling in the wrong direction down a TSS lane with no reason will get yourself prosecuted and Fined.

Slowing down is not normally the first option to avoid a collision. First option to avoid a collision is normally to make an alteration of course, Rule 15 says avoid crossing ahead of another vessel, Alter to STBB and pass the stern of the other vessel then as long as you resume your crossing heading at right angle to the traffic lane its all happy days.

Question I first asked is do the MCA examiners these days prefer to hear, slow down and let the other vessel pass ahead. Slowing down on every collision situation could be deemed as over cautious ??