Oral Question Rule 19 Radar Plot

Deck Officer (CoC: Chief Mate)
    Thanks

Oral Question Rule 19 Radar Plot

Recently failed my orals on this question in November and still cant see the answer.

The examiner passes me a radar plotting sheet and asks me about rule 19.

On the Radar plotting sheet I completed the OAW triangle which was correct, but gave a poor expectation as it was 14 years ago since I last did a radar plot.

My Vessel heading North.
    Examiner puts a target dead ahead at 6 Mile, Risk of Collision and zero CPA.
    Examiner then puts a second target just forward of my starboard beam, Brg 080 and at 6 mile, steady bearing risk of collision and zero CPA

Examiner asked me what would be my action, I looked at the radar plotting sheet and said I would Slow Down, examiner did not except this at all.

Examiner said to me how do you normally avoid a collision.

I replied an alteration of course is normally the best course of action to avoid a collision, examiner seemed to show his approval and said what would be my action then.

Rule 19 d (1) says an alteration of course to port for a vessel forward of the beam, other than a vessel being overtaking
    Rule 19 d (11) An alteration of course towards a vessel abeam or abaft the beam.

The vessel ahead of me at 6 mile , which i am overtaking, which means I am free to alter to Port or Starboard for this vessel.
    The vessel just forward of my starboard beam bearing 080 at 6 mile, which means I cannot alter to port. Would I be correct anything less than 090 is forward of my beam.

My Final answer to the examiner was to alter to starboard, which is not correct.

Would the correct answer be that I can alter to port because Rule 19 d says so far as possible the following shall be avoided.

Also one more question Rule 19 D (1)and(11) does this only apply if there is a risk of collision

Deck Officer (CoC: Master)
    Thanks
    It's a bit difficult without actually having the plots but are you sure he wasn't after the usual ... 19(e)... or which cannot avoid a close quarters situation forward of her beam shall reduce her speed to a minimum at which she can be kept on her course blah blah

Maybe he didn't accept the slow down and wanted the full works using "minimum she can be kept on her course" "take all way off" "navigate with extreme caution etc"

Because one of the vessels is not being overtaken and forward of your beam you can't go to port under part d (i) and you possibly can't go to starboard under d (ii) as its close to your beam

Unfortunely Rule 19 is one of the ones which you have got to have your head around fully as the examiners consider it an instant fail if there is any hesitation, college should have run through all of these scenarios - have you checked your notes?
    Pilotage - It's just a controlled allision

3. The following user says Thank You to Pilot Chris for this useful post:

R1PHILL (24th December 2016)

Engineer Officer (CoC: Chief)
    Thanks
    I know this might sound silly, but in your initial explanation you mention a target dead ahead with zero CPA and later you say that you are overtaking, are you certain that you have not assumed this is an overtaking situation and not head on?

What are TCPA's for both vessels?

Thanks
    So your radar plot looked roughly like the attached image - from what you have written above?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

– Mark Twain
    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

Deck Officer (CoC: Chief Mate)
    Thanks
    Hi yes the above radar plot was the same.

Rule 19 d says as far as possible the following shall be avoided.

Alteration to Port was the correct answer.

Thanks

You were essentially already overtaking the guy on your starboard side
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”

– Mark Twain
    myBlog | @alistairuk | flickr | youtube Views and opinions expressed are those of myself and not representative of any employer or other associated party.

8. The following user says Thank You to alistairuk for this useful post:

R1PHILL (30th December 2016)